Author Topic: BIR Aloo Gobi recipe  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Norman

• Chef
    • View Profile
BIR Aloo Gobi recipe
« on: October 05, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Hi im looking for a good Aloo Gobi recipe or any tips cheers  :)

Offline macferret

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BIR Aloo Gobi recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Once when I was in a kitchen watching the chef cook my curry, I asked him about the Aloo Ghobi he was cooking first. He said "Important thing about Aloo Ghobi? NO GARLIC!!! NEVER PUT GARLIC!!!" He was quite shouty and clearly very determined to get this point across. So to this day I have never tainted my Aloo Ghobi with garlic, but I expect that our punters are blissfully unaware of the fact.
If I can offer some milder advice:
- use both red and green pepper, finely-chopped; it looks nice
- cook the sauce down until it is quite dry before adding the potato and cauli. The sauce should be thick and the oil should be splitting out of it
- add loads of chopped coriander stems just before serving
- most important of all, undercook the pre-cooked veg. You need a waxy potato (like Charlotte) and once you have cubed it, boil for 3 minutes in water with haldi, generous salt and panch phoran. Plunge it immediately into chilled water to stop it cooking. (We then flash it through very hot ghee to brown it a bit. Once you have cook-chilled it, it will keep its texture whatever you do.)  We give the cauli 5 mins in the same water at a rolling boil, and plunge it the same way to stop the cooking process.

Happy cooking,
Ferret

Offline Norman

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BIR Aloo Gobi recipe
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Thank you macferret thats very good advice for next time i  have adapted Currys to go Sagg Aloo recipe and i have to say it tasted awesome but could be improved i will use your advise thanks, heres what i did today
 pre cooked potato's and cauliflower with a bit of mixed powder
heated oil
cooked onions
G&G paste 1 tbsp
sprinkle of methi in there
bit less than a tbsp of mixed powder
chilli powder just a bit
one third of a ladle of base
put peas pots and cauli in
cooked on a high heat till base reduced and dryish
put a bit more base in
salt in