Author Topic: Eastern star curry powder  (Read 8618 times)

Offline ajb225

• Chef
    • View Profile
Eastern star curry powder
« on: October 10, 2014, 07:58 AM »
Hi all!

Does anybody have the ingredient list for eastern star curry powder? I can only find one image of the ingredient list http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tDK3FeuVL._SY300_.jpg it is far too blurry to make out.

I am going to try and recreate this powder from scratch and will share my findings should I be successful so if anybody could send me a list of the ingredients or even a photo of the packages ingredient list I would be immensely grateful!

Thank you very much
Andrew

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern star curry powder
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 10:55 AM »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 11:23 AM »
Hi all!

Does anybody have the ingredient list for eastern star curry powder? I can only find one image of the ingredient list http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tDK3FeuVL._SY300_.jpg it is far too blurry to make out.

I am going to try and recreate this powder from scratch and will share my findings should I be successful so if anybody could send me a list of the ingredients or even a photo of the packages ingredient list I would be immensely grateful!

Thank you very much
Andrew
The label reads:
Ingredients: Tumeric, Mustard, Coriander, Fenugreek, Wheat Flour, Salt, Chillies, Fennel, Cumin, Onions, Spices (Contains Celery)

Pretty sure this is how it reads from the pic you have provided. Actually, certain as I've just looked at the image direct from Google and it is clear enough to read.

Ingredients are listed in order of greatest proportion or equal quantities first.  Your guess as to proportions is as good as any and the Trace spices at the end could be anything in small amounts that may be deliberate or just resulting from being made in the presence of other spices.

It lists Allergins as Mustard, Wheat, Gluten and Celery.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:33 AM by livo »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 12:04 PM »
It's interesting that if the ingredients are in order of greatest proportion first that mustard is second in the list. Not a spice I would ever have considered to be a major player in a curry powder. And I wonder which type of mustard?

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 03:49 PM »
I have about 1/2 a tin left if anyone needs any.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 12:21 AM »
It's interesting that if the ingredients are in order of greatest proportion first that mustard is second in the list. Not a spice I would ever have considered to be a major player in a curry powder. And I wonder which type of mustard?

Struck me as odd too SS.  I am only assuming that the Ing's are listed in order of proportion as they are required to be down here.

This pic is of the ing's listed for Kitchen King Masala Powder (Salt and Poppy seed not pictured).  1/2 Tbspoon of Yellow Mustard seed.

Try this out as a start point and tweak it.
Ga Lei Fan (Chinese Yellow Curry Powder)
1Tbsp each of Coriander, Cardamom, Cumin, Cayenne, Tumeric and Yellow Mustard powders.

Comparing this to Eastern Star:
chillies are replaced with cayenne,
salt, wheat flour and onion omitted (easy to adjust at cook time anyway or by playing with it).
Fenugreek and Fennel omitted.
Cardamom could be in the spices section.
Celery is definitely in Eastern Star so probably Celery Seed.

Lots of Spice Blends given here:
http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/spices-recipes.php
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:11 AM by livo »

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 12:59 AM »
Hi all!

Thank you very much
Andrew
Hi Andrew, can I ask why you are trying to make this

regards
ELW

Offline lennybee

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Any joy on recreating this? Anyone?

©2024 Curry Recipes