Author Topic: Side bonus. Best ever fried chicken recipe!!!  (Read 12686 times)

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Side bonus. Best ever fried chicken recipe!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 02:12 PM »
Tried this - didn't really work. The double coating thing is what I mean. Coated, dipped into chilled water and most of the coating fell straight off! Anyone got tips on building up a nice thick crumbly coating as shown in the link because dunking into water doesn't seem to be the thing.

But grinding cornflakes into powder and adding with the flour and spices made a super amazing good tasty coating so there is a tip for you. Ratio about 1 part cornflakes to 3 parts flour.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Funnilly enough that's why I haven't tried this yet- just that little bit of the recipe made me stop: i.e., coating it, and then dipping in water???? That's what I thought would happen Svenska. Maybe s/he got it the wrong way round or something? Dip in water to make the coating stick better?

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Try a wet batter using a mixture of plain and cornflour instead of dry seasoned flour before crumbing.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 03:30 PM »
So don't dip in water at all then? Cheers!

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 04:31 PM »
i'm wondering if it's double-dipping, like in the guardian page recipe i referenced above?  roll in flour mixture, dip, then roll again to get a thicker, even and crispy coating?

see here, there's a video http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/jul/24/kfc-secret-recipe-revealed

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Right! I remember seeing a YT vid (one of the zillion all claiming to crack the KFC recipe, no idea which one) in which he reckoned that the trick (or, a trick) was to double dip- when frying. So deep fry a few minutes, remove and then refry. Does that make any sense you reckon?

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 04:47 PM »
double-frying like folk do with chips?  that could make the coating nice and crispy too, worth a try.  i haven't done this chicken recipe yet, my chicken portions are defrosting in the fridge as i type, but when i did the guardian recipe a while back i did as the video shows - unless dipping in milk has some special quality that makes the coating stick to the chicken better than water does?  ???

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 04:50 PM »
Are you fying tonight then? Let's see how it goes!
Yeah, I wondered- milk does kind of go sticky as it dries doesn't it?

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 05:11 PM »
i've already got supper planned for tonight but time permitting i'll do it tomorrow evening, that'll give me time to get rice flour or find something to substitute it for, fingers crossed cornflour would do the job cos i've got heaps of that!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 05:40 PM by sp »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 08:41 PM »
I've now made this 4 times, twice with water and twice without. If your worried about just do the first coating and fry. Having done double coating before I already knew that there is a step not mentioned in the recipe. After the first coat sit the pieces on a cake cooling rack to dry for a while before doing the second coat.

Also being water, it needs to be a real quick dip.

©2024 Curry Recipes