Author Topic: Cooking an oil based Gravy with photos.  (Read 3701 times)

littlechilie

Cooking an oil based Gravy with photos.
« on: November 04, 2014, 06:32 PM »
Hi all,

Had a little time to cook today my daughter napped for one hour 30 Yay!! Right so the cooked base was pretty much based on jb's famous base, so full credit and a link to his page and recipe added below.

I chose jb's base for the oily base v no oil base comparison,it's a popular base that i favour, Jb uses a lot less oil in his recipe but I'm trying to establish a theory so I'm using the two extremes.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,13136.0.html

Stage 1) chop veg and add to a large pot, add your preferred amount of oil and water then cook well, I cooked this for one hour before adding stage two.

Stage 2) add your choice of spice to the base or follow jb's description, I used mix powder, turmeric,salt and chilli powder. Cook for another fifteen.

Sage 3) cook your garlic tarka then add to the sauce, simmer on very low heat, oil will rise and can be reclaimed here.

Stage 4) cool a little then blend, water can be added here.

Notes) if tomato pure is preferred or tinned tomatoes the oil will be a darker red, I reclaimed two ladles of oil from the base.

It's easy to over spice the base,your better to under spice and add more in the frying stage.

Base can be thinned with water before blending, the finished colour should be a nice and inviting.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:29 PM by littlechilie »

littlechilie

Re: Cooking an oil based Gravy with photos.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Finished sauce.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking an oil based Gravy with photos.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:11 PM »
That looks the goods mate.  Now you need to decide what your going to whip up to use some of it.  Looking forward to see what you do next.

©2024 Curry Recipes