Author Topic: Mustard Oil in curries  (Read 7073 times)

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Mustard Oil in curries
« on: November 26, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Noticed people using mustard oil in their curries and marinades.

I purchased a small bottle out of curiosity and I'm looking to use it.

At what stage is this used in a curry?

When do you use it in a marinade?

and finally, what are the taste benefits (if any)

any help greatly appreciated

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mustard Oil in curries
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Mustard oil got a real bad press some years back for its supposed detrimental health effects. At that time I was cooking for my young children (all grown up now) so I stopped using it and never got back in the habit of using it again.

I was replenishing spices etc from a grocers in Brick Lane about a year or so ago and picked up a bottle of mustard oil that had a label on it warning against using it for "internal use".

Like all these issues, when you delve further you find conflicting reports on the supposed effects on health.

I'm sure some of the guys here are still using it and can advise further.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:02 PM »
I cook in dripping; have 1/4" thick butter on my crumpets; fry pancakes/cr

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 11:27 PM »
mr.mojorisin

I use 1 tbsp of mustard oil in 1 kg tikka marinade.

I don't use it at dish fry.

It's hard to describe it's effect. I feel it helps tenderise. The taste you will like loads or not at all. I love it. It seems to add an extra layer of flavour to the tikka taste.

It's expensive stuff so can't see it being used when veg oil works ie bunjarra or base.

I thought right at the back of my mind - we know veg ghee is used by some BIR for dish fry. It may be some use mix of ghee, veg oil and possibly mustard oil. It's a pure guess though. Just something I mean to try when the todo list shortens.

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 12:31 AM »
Hi

I agree with JM. use it as a marinade as per CT's tikka, It is quite strong at first but if you marinade overnight the pungency goes and still leave a great unmissable taste

Ed

Offline macferret

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 07:55 AM »
The 1970s ban on mustard oil in food by the EU, US and Canada is so inexplicable that it must have been politically motivated. The ban hinges on a component called erucic acid, which can cause heart damage at high doses in rats and piglets. Erucic acid is present at lower concentrations in rapeseed oil (canola in the US), which is of course widely-consumed - and farmed - in the West. (Rubs chin...wonder whether Monsanto has the patent for that.)
It's an important flavour in Indian desi cooking, and although it is a "marmite" ingredient, many of us get hooked on the flavour, which hovers in the background rather like sesame oil.
To the best of my knowledge, the mustard oil on the shelves of British Indian grocers that is euphemistically labelled "for external use only" or "massage oil" is food grade.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:25 AM »
If I remember correctly, To use Mustard oil in cooking, It first has to be heated to smoking point then allowed to cool a bit.     

PS, just found this link,

http://www.indiacurry.com/spice/mustardoilcooking.htm

Offline Nick D

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 04:25 PM »
For the last couple of years I have been using this mustard oil which is virtually erucic acid free. http://www.uncleroys.co.uk/mustard-seed-oils/spicy-mustard-oil.html
I use it mainly for tikka marinade and Bombay potato pre cook and tastes just as good  if not better than the "not for internal consumption " versions.

Nick.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 10:32 PM »

Came across this by chance saagwala - a spicy dish prepared with Mustard, fresh spices, Ginger, garlic, tomatoes and coriander In a leaf spinach base

http://www.ozmiindianeaterie.co.uk/menus.php

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 11:18 PM »
Would be interested to see what they are doing with mustard oil... Fancy a trip there sometime Jerry ?

©2024 Curry Recipes