Author Topic: Bobotie  (Read 3239 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Bobotie
« on: November 30, 2014, 05:38 PM »
I was looking for an old bobotie recipe that I had and Bamble kindly pm'd one to me, however today I rescued a few boxes of books from storage, reacquainted myself with some old friends and found the old recipe that I used from a Dorling Kindersley recipe book on curry. I post it here for your delectation

Bobotie from DK Curry, fabulous dishes from around the world

Ingredients
2 slices white bread crusts removed
125ml milk
2 tbs veg oil
50g butter
2 onions roughly chopped
2 red chillies deseeded and chopped
4 large cloves of garlic finely chopped
600g minced lamb
2.5 tsp mild curry powder
0.75 tsp ground cinnamon
0.75 tsp cracked black peppercorns
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp Mrs Balls extra hot chutney or other hot chutney, chopped
1 tsp Demerara sugar
1 tbsp blanched almonds, halved
6 lemon leaves or fresh bay leaves

Savoury Topping
2 large eggs
100ml single cream
100ml milk
0.25 tsp crushed black peppercorns
Pinch grated nutmeg

Method

Tear bread into rough pieces, place in a small bowl and pour over the milk. Leave to one side for about 10 minutes.

Heat oil in a flame proof casserole and, when hot, add the butter. Tip in the onions and chillies and cook until golden. Add garlic and minced lamb and continue frying, stirring frequently until the meat browns. Sprinkle over curry powder, cinnamon, peppercorns and lemon zest. Stir and fry over a moderate heat for for another 5 minutes to cook the spices.

Squeeze excess milk from the bread and add to the minced lamb. Stir well to break up any lumps. Add lemon juice, chutney, sugar and almonds. Remove from heat and leave to cool before turning meat mixture into a 1 litre/2 pint pie dish. Roll lemon or bay leaves into cigar shapes and stand them upright in the spiced meat. They should peep through the lamb.

Preheat oven to 180c

Whisk together eggs, cream and milk and stir in peppercorns. Pour this savoury custard over the mince and sprinkle with grated nutmeg. Set the pie dish on a roasting tin half filled with hot water. Bake for 25 minutes or until the topping is golden and set.

Serve with boiled rice or baked sweet potatoes. Bobotie also works well with a crisp salad and some tangy chutney.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Bobotie
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Bobotie is a South African dish but was taken there by Asian slaves so I think it is justifiably put in this authentic dishes section

Offline snowbeast

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:01 PM »
Thank you for the recipe!
Love Babootie, we use a lot of fruit chutney with ours.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 08:53 PM »
Hi tempest this recipe is very unusual but I for one may just give it a try! Are you going to cook this, if I do get round to cooking this I will report back

Bob.

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 07:05 AM »
I cooked this last week and family really enjoyed the recipe. After having it in South Africa last year this is very authentic. The only change I would make personally is to drain off some of the fat after the meat has been cooked as it could be a little oily.

©2024 Curry Recipes