Author Topic: BULK - Vegetable Biriyani  (Read 2284 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
BULK - Vegetable Biriyani
« on: December 10, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Hi All,

Haven't been on here for a while as have been really busy at the Uni and studying for my Chef's Qualifications...

Dug this out from the archive that I made quite a while ago at the Uni, a Bulk Vegetable Biriyani which flew out the door. You can of course always substitute the veggies for Chicken Tikka or whatever kind of meat you like and also serve it with any curry sauce that might take your fancy too...

If anyone wants the recipe, just give me a shout...

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: BULK - Vegetable Biriyani
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:38 AM »
I would be very much interested in the recipe 976bar.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Here you go UF. This is for 48 portions, so re-calculate for anything less.

4kg         Basmati Rice      
250g         Butter      
45g         Fennel Seeds      
45g         Cumin Seeds      
30g         Cloves      
5         Bayleaves      
10g         Cinnamon Stick      
10         Onions, finely chopped      
2         Onions, finely sliced      
30ml         Prep oil      
16         Carrots, peeled finely sliced and steamed      
3         Cauliflowers, cut into small florets and steamed      
2kg         Mushrooms, coarsley sliced      
2kg         Potatoes, peeled and cubed into 25mm cubes      
90g         Garlic Puree      
90g         Ginger Puree      
120g         Indian Spice Mix      
120g         Madras, hot curry powder      
30g         Kashmiri Chilli Powder      
60g         Tomato Puree      
2.5kg         Chopped Tomatoes      
1000ml      Indian Base Sauce      
5g         Yellow Food Colouring      
15g         Salt      
100g         Fresh Coriander, finely chopped      
10g         Garam Masala      
750ml         Greek Yogurt      
45g         Butter Ghee      
1kg         Cashew Nuts      
500g         Sultanas      
200g         Almond Slices, lightly toasted   

Place 2kg of the rice in each gastro and top with 3 litres of water each. Place in the steamer and steam for 25 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.                        
Steam the carrots, potatoes and cauliflower and allow to cool.                        
In a bratt pan, melt the butter and add the chopped onions. When melted add the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves. Fry these spices for 2-3 minutes until an aroma is given off, then add the chopped onions and fry until soft and translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Add the garlic and ginger puree and continue to cook until an aroma is given off, then add the indian spice mix, curry powder, chilli powder and yellow food colouring. Stir fry this for 1-2 minutes, then add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes. Next, add the base sauce and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and add the greek yougurt and stir in. Now add the vegetables and rice and mix all together, leave to warm through on a lowish heat. Season with the salt.                        
Meanwhile in a separate pan, melt the butter ghee and add the cashew nuts and sultanas and cook until the cashew nuts are lightly toasted and the sultanas have plumped up. Add these to the Biriyani mixture.                        
Also, melt the oil in another pan and add the onion slices, fry these until crisp and brown, remove from the heat and set aside.                        
Lightly toast the almonds on a tray under the salamander and remove from the heat and set aside.                        
Add the freshly chopped coriander and garam masala to the biriyani and mix in. Check the seasoning.                        
Serve, garnished with the crisp brown onions and some taosted almonds garnish on the top.                        

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:32 PM »
Thank you 976bar just what i have after.

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Vegetable Biriyani is my favourite curry. BIR sometimes add some sweetcorn, seasonal veg such as Brussels sprouts or bean beans.

©2024 Curry Recipes