Author Topic: Cumin What Do We Know  (Read 12370 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cumin What Do We Know
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 10:21 PM »
just checking what's being said here - ground fenugreek is key to BIR

I could see it being the otherway around ie for traditional.

If it is key would appreciate a qty that would be used in 300 ml portion.

Just to be clear I have no interest in traditional cooking - I see it purely as a learning opportunity.

my efforts this year being aimed at increasing my learning not pushing what I already know - which is what I've done so far and know won't work (best BIR being the target)

Given this "spicing" is key to what I intend doing I list what I think are BIR spices. Would appreciate views on what's missing. To be clear this is not about whole spices which I see as different - essentially I'm after mix powder spices:

1) cumin
2) coriander
3) turmeric
4) paprika
5) chilli
6) gm
7) ground fenugreek (big tbc)
8) curry powder
9) 
Etc

Ps Naga- thoughts appreciated. Methi is certainly a yes but not convinced it's used in all dishes hence why I left it out. I'm essentially targeting base spicing. You are 100% right not to taste cumin coming through.

Methi is another question I have on my mind. I'm aiming 1 step at a time and see methi as next going down the  pyramid.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 10:48 PM »
just checking what's being said here - ground fenugreek is key to BIR

I could see it being the otherway around ie for traditional.  If it is key would appreciate a qty that would be used in 300 ml portion.

The very helpful Indian family who run my local convenience store have assured me that ground fenugreek plays no r
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:53 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 10:41 PM »
Phil,

I can't pretend - I find this quite unique. To use methi in traditional and fenugreek seed powder in BIR. This goes completely against what I've found from trying both ingredients in the past - methi sits well in BIR 100% sure. I use  methi as standard in some dishes and have grime to like it. I particularly like in tikka marinade per IFFU

On the fenugreek seed powder I may have used top much. I'm certainly up to give it another try.

I just need someone who uses it to say how they use it so I know how much should go in an individual portion of 300 ml base.

I can read up from my previous attempt to work out how much I used last time. But there is no point me guessing if someone already has the answer.

As I say for this year I'm happy to try out any ideas as I'm not putting it into what I normally do ie BIR. Im simple going to do some tasting trials.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 10:50 PM »
unless there are any comments going to use the following as my priority order for my intended spice tasting trials:

1) cumin
2) coriander
3) turmeric
4) paprika
5) chilli - no work needed
6) gm
7) ground fenugreek (big tbc)
8 ) curry powder
9) methi

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 10:50 PM »
I put about two teaspoons in a 1.6 litre base, Jerry. I'll let you do the calculation.

But I also add it to my mix powder :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 11:13 PM »
Garp

Many thanks for info which I will try.

Any chance of same for mix powder. 

What I'd like to get to is how much in relation to cumin ie 1 tsp cumin : 0.0 tsp fenugreek seed powder.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 10:38 AM »
What I'd like to get to is how much in relation to cumin ie 1 tsp cumin : 0.0 tsp fenugreek seed powder.

For me : 2 teaspoons cumin to 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek, or to 1 teaspoon fenugreek at most.
** Phil.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 03:30 PM »
Garp... stop sniping.
Well said RS ;D ;D

You were on the right path Professor JM

Ground Fenugreek seed is a secondary spice in Traditional Indian cooking.
and has little use in BIR cooking and further more freshly ground seeds gives off hardly any aroma at all.
To say it is the essence of BIR curry is simply rubbish. ::)

The Fenugreek seed powder is a strong bitter spice so use it sparingly, too much will ruin a curry
and also give you gas and possibly the runs. whoopdeedoo! ;D ;D

On the other hand many authentic BIR/TA recipes call for Kasuri Methi, (dried Fenugreek leaf)
which is why its part of the chef's worktop (mise en place) spices.

Kasuri Methi used to be added to the majority of savoury curry dishes.
But not so much now in The Modern BIR's, because its overpowering,
but it is still a major part of the aroma of BIR, new and old.

Getting back to Cumin, it is a primary spice and is the culprit for Pakistani Restaurant
curries often having that same background flavour, across the range of their dishes.

Grinding your own spice masala is much fresher, obviously, but you have to moderate
your recipe as its always too pungent for the English palate.

My two pennies in, hope it helps
cheers Chewy

Offline macferret

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 08:11 PM »
I have never known qsoori methi to be overpowering. Surely it has quite a subtle, earthy flavour. 
And I didn't mean that ground methi is a key ingredient in BIR. In fact I don't think I have seen a chef use it, except perhaps in their mix powder.  All I mean is that if you smell the stuff it has an incredible aroma which just shouts curry. I buy about 200g of it a year and add 2 tsp of it per 15 litres of gravy. I would use more, but despite the fact that it smells amazing, it carries a bitter flavour and I haven't found a way around that.
As I keep getting pulled up on the detailed wording of my posts I need to a) stop posting or b) run it past a proof-reading team first.  Think I'll go for a), all things considered.  I prefer the company of enthusiasts to pedants.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:35 PM by macferret »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 08:41 PM »
Don't do a), Mac. There are people on here who think they know everything, despite having a very narrow view of what constitutes BIR. Stay and give your opinions from a person who works in the business.

Some of us are enthusiasts and can see through the constant criticism of others' efforts, and attempts to belittle anything outside their personal preferences.

Anyway, fenugreek....

I love the flavour of both the dried leaves and the powdered seeds. Punjabi cuisine is what I am used to and both have contributed to my attempts to make BIR/TA-style dishes. Perhaps if others have blinkers on, and rule this style of BIR out completely, then they have to broaden their horizons and lose their prejudice.

Keep cooking and posting, Mac.

Je Suis Charlie

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:12 PM by Garp »

©2024 Curry Recipes