Author Topic: Beef Madras, Spiced Pilau Rice, and plain Naan Bread  (Read 3898 times)

Offline simmo169

• Chef
    • View Profile
Beef Madras, Spiced Pilau Rice, and plain Naan Bread
« on: January 09, 2015, 03:58 PM »
It's been a while since my last post, but here's a pic of my favourite homemade Beef Madras, along with spiced pilau rice and plain naan bread (all served in my new copper serving dishes I got for Christmas).

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Beef Madras, Spiced Pilau Rice, and plain Naan Bread
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 09:54 PM »
Certainly looks very rustic and spicy simmo,  8)  what recipes are you using.

Watching a friends restaurant getting a refurb last year, there were dozens of those
serving dishes went into the skip, wish I had grabbed a couple. ::)

cheers Chewy

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:40 AM »
Looks like a nice, deep-coloured traditional beef curry. Those dimpled serving dishes look very classy too.

Like Chewy, I'd be interested to learn how you put the meal together. :)

Offline simmo169

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 09:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
That's a real shame about the serving dishes going in the skip, I'd have been tempted to have jumped in after them, haha.
As for the dish itself, it's not your traditional takeaway recipe that's for sure, and it isn't a quick recipe either. However, it is delicious.

It's another Madhur Jaffrey recipe with a few tweaks having been made by me, namely:
replacing the diced garlic and ginger with a garlic/ginger paste, and adding a teaspoon of sugar just before the spices, and two teaspoons of mango chutney around an hour into the cooking.

I've tried the recipe with lamb and found it wasn't as nice as slow cooked beef, but the key is finding good quality beef (I use braising steak, give it a good tenderising, and then dice it up, though diced beef does work as well), and getting it as tender as possible. The recipe calls for around 90 mins cooking time, I go with over two hours each time.

The rice is a spiced basmati recipe which I posted in another thread, and the naans were a basic recipe with warm milk, sugar, and yeast, before being dry fried in a hot pan.

Here is the recipe for the curry. It takes a long time, especially with the prep work, but is well worth it.

http://www.mykitchentable.co.uk/index.php/2011/09/madhur-jaffrey-lamb-pork-or-beef-madras/

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Thanks for putting up that info, simmo. It's on my to-do list now! :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:53 PM »
Watching a friends restaurant getting a refurb last year, there were dozens of those
serving dishes went into the skip, wish I had grabbed a couple. ::)
Nice handi dishes these. having three different sizes myself.  Probably outsted to make way for ceramics which will take a lot less to fill and therefore reduce portion size but charge the same  ::) Unfortunately, an all too common practice  >:(

©2024 Curry Recipes