Author Topic: Mr Naga paste re-creation.  (Read 12780 times)

Offline Edwina Curry

• Chef
    • View Profile
Mr Naga paste re-creation.
« on: April 02, 2015, 12:33 AM »
Hello all.

New here.

I have been enjoying Mr Naga paste, but in order to get enough of that delicious flavour into a dish, I have found that it gets too hot, so I am trying to make my own version in which I remove the pith and seeds.

I'm aware, however that although the paste is 70% Naga Morich there are some added ingredients that give it that certain flavour. Paprika is listed, but beyond that, merely 'mixed spices'.

Just interested to know if anyone has a good idea as to what the spice blend might be?

My first thoughts are a general 'mix powder' - coriander, tumeric, cumin, fenugreek, paprika, etc, but maybe a mild madras powder? Really hard to tell just from smelling.

Any ideas?

So far I have 30 fresh Naga Morich, de-seeded and de-pithed, soaking overnight in barley malt vinegar...

Edwina Curry

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mr Naga paste re-creation.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 06:45 AM »
Hi Edwina. Mustard seeds and mustard oil feature IMHO. Mix powder is unlikely if you ask me.  Good luck, but I don't fancy your chances of coming up with a good match - too many possible permutations of all the possible spices.

littlechilie

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 06:52 AM »
Hi Edwina, you could follow This youtube video and see if it gets you close , think there is three if I remember right.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T48u9KwIWNU

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:51 AM »
Edwina, be careful with hygiene when making this as chilli sauce is a great growth medium for Salmonella!  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Mustard seeds and mustard oil feature IMHO.

Mustard seeds possibly but I doubt they use mustard oil because they'd have to declare it on the label or risk falling foul of European food regs.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Mustard oil no , seed yes . Salmonella no, Botulism is what you have to watch for in sauce making.
If not cooked properly and heated to correct temperature before storing in a sterilised jar botulism can kill
I use button top lids so that I can insure the jars are steeled
Also the ph has to be around 3.4 to be safe for canning
Vinegar, lemon, lime, acetic acid are good for this

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 09:22 AM »
Salmonella no,

Zooooom, straight over your head.  ;D

And actually yes but certainly less common than botulism.

littlechilie

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Mustard oil no , seed yes . Salmonella no, Botulism is what you have to watch for in sauce making.
If not cooked properly and heated to correct temperature before storing in a sterilised jar botulism can kill
I use button top lids so that I can insure the jars are steeled
Also the ph has to be around 3.4 to be safe for canning
Vinegar, lemon, lime, acetic acid are good for this

Hey MA, you just reminded me I have an old Mirro pressure canner under my stairs, would be ideal for you to can hot sauce with.

Offline Edwina Curry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 05:46 PM »
Um...ok...slightly worried now!

Can anyone give me fairly clear instructions as to how to cook and store this safely? I really don't fancy either Salmonella or Botulism!

Hoping to have a go at this tonight. I, too find it unlikely that I'll nail it completely. Hoping that after a lot of trial and error I might get close. Paprika and Panch Poren make sense as a starting point for the main spice mix I think. No mention of Mustard Oil on the label so I'll steer clear of that, but there's mustard seed in Panch Phoren, so that could be a good shout.

Apart from dying, my main concern is getting the vinegar balance wrong, and it all tasting too much of vingar. Any advice appreciated on this. Bearing in mind, I soaked the chillis in barley malt vinegar for about 24 hours so they're already rather vinegary...

Here's what I have done so far, and now the chillis are sitting in a jar of vegetable oil waiting for the next step..

Edwina Curry
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:58 PM by Edwina Curry »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 06:04 PM »
I have no idea Edwina, but thoroughly enjoyed the humour in your post.

I'm sure one of the chilli-heads will be along shortly. Good luck and keep us posted :)

©2024 Curry Recipes