Author Topic: Spice jars  (Read 13757 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Spice jars
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 09:02 PM »
I hadn't thought of that Phil, but it is a good point. It would be worth seeing if there are any replacement papers available. I'm not even sure whether it would be possible to make some. They would help to keep any moisture out as well I guess, as I have found that certain spices just absorb  it when you open them, Chinese 5 spice seems to be the worst. I did buy them in bulk and then used the card inserts to divide them in the drawer, but I threw the paper out ::)

I think that if the paper is going to help the seal then it would have to be waxed or similar (maybe make them from silicone-coated baking paper); if it were a porous paper, then I think it would allow a very small amount of air to enter/leave.  Anyhow, I'm going to try a set and see !

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:15 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 09:08 PM »
The baking paper sounds like a good idea, pretty cheap solution too.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 09:23 PM »
'Ere yer go, Guv :  these might do.  And for them as is too mean to fork out for real Kilner jars, these, at less than

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 09:31 PM »
They look just the job. I'll grab some of those next time I'm near Lakeland. Cheers!

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04 PM »
I hadn't thought of that Phil, but it is a good point. It would be worth seeing if there are any replacement papers available. I'm not even sure whether it would be possible to make some. They would help to keep any moisture out as well I guess, as I have found that certain spices just absorb  it when you open them, Chinese 5 spice seems to be the worst. I did buy them in bulk and then used the card inserts to divide them in the drawer, but I threw the paper out ::)

Bob, the drawers do lift out but they have a good extension on them so you can pull them out all the way. I guess you could just make a drawer that fits your plastic containers.

Yes that's a good idea many thanks SoberRat.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 02:06 AM »
Like the Jam funnel and OCD spice collections. ;)

I have quite a selection of these Kilner Jars - all sizes.

The Gingham Check paper on new Kilner clip top jars, is just aesthetics and your right to bin it.

Gingham pattern is part of their graphic branding, representing the old traditional jam making cloth topped jars.

It does make them look more attractive and trendy, at point of sale. :)

cheers Chewy

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 12:29 PM »
I just use my old Morrisons Value Peanut Butter jars (67p each I think). I get one a week, eat the scrummy PB and I have a nice, free, airtight jar at the end.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 12:41 PM »
I just use my old Morrisons Value Peanut Butter jars ...

I am mortified, Santa; I always imagined you as a "Fortnum's Special Reserve" customer, not a "Morrisons' Value" one ...

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 12:50 PM »
I am mortified, Santa; I always imagined you as a "Fortnum's Special Reserve" customer, not a "Morrisons' Value" one ...

Nahh, I like to slum it.  :D

Anyway peanuts is peanuts. I'm not paying an extra quid or three just for 10% more of them in the jar (87% for Morrisons Value and 97% for the more refined versions).

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 03:58 PM »
Mines a disgrace

©2024 Curry Recipes