Author Topic: Young Uk's missing home.  (Read 5191 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Young Uk's missing home.
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:01 PM »
I have just had the pleasure of having 2 young UK lads at my place over the last 2 days. They were installing our new Solar PV cells and inverter on the house. Only young blokes from Newcastle (UK) and Scotland but not sure where. They have been here for about 6 years now.

Anyway, while they were up on my roof I was in the kitchen doing the Mr B'ham's Balti Sauce and finished chicken dish plus other curry dishes in prep for a curry dinner tomorrow night.  By the end of today the Newcastle guy, Adam, asked me if I was a chef. I laughed and said no.  I explained that I was using this site to learn BIR and he started telling me how much he misses his home curries (with chips).  He reckoned the smells coming out were reminding him of home.

I'll take that as a compliment and encouragement that I'm getting something right somewhere along the way.  He did however reinforce the view held by most, if not all, UK expats and visitors, that the shop curries here in Oz just aren't the same as over there.

He also told me that at home a Chinese meal is served with half rice and half chips smothered in delicious Chinese curry sauce for about ~1.50. We certainly don't get that out here.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Young Uk's missing home.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 01:04 PM »
Nor do we, south of the Trent!!!

Congrats on the seal of approval from the northerners though, as you say you must bev doing something right!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:09 PM »
I'm still waiting for the bit where you tell us you fed them both and they confirmed that the taste, as well as the aroma, was spot on ...

** Phil.

P.S.
I have just had the pleasure of having 2 young UK lads at my place ... installing our new Solar PV cells and inverter on the house. They have been here for about 6 years now.

They're certainly spinning out that solar-panel installation, then !

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 01:14 PM »
 ;D at Phil.....

That reminds me of a joke.....a Jock, a Geordie and an Aussie walk into a bar......add your own punchline (but not here because that would be off topic) ;)

By the way; does anyone on here have a job or is everyone retired?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 01:15 PM »
No. Didn't feed them, nor did they ask to be fed. My dishes aren't spot on and I never claimed them to be as such.
I clearly said they were at my house for 2 days.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 01:17 PM »
Retired for me.
Which is the jock and Geordie? Because the Scotty bloke was more than a bit seedy on Mondays morning.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 01:24 PM »
Jock is a term used south of the border for a Scot. A Geordie is a term used to describe someone from the Newcastle area.

Seedy? Do you have the same meaning as us for that word?

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 01:26 PM »
A weekend on the Tennants eh ;)  lol

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Not sure. He was suffering from over.indulgences of Sunday night.
Out here to be a bit seedy is how one would feel after a bad night and possibly having driven the porcelain bus. , talked into the big white telephone or more recent slang, baited. To be seedy is to have a mouth that feels like the bottom of a cockies cage.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:40 PM by livo »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 02:03 PM »
Lol yes, I see there is another definition. As opposed to the 'sordid, disreputable' one which I am more accustomed with :)

But he could be both.....if he's from the Glasgow area :)

©2024 Curry Recipes