Author Topic: CA's Perfect Pilau Rice - Every Time! (Illustrated!)  (Read 86000 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Perfect Pilau Rice - Every Time! (Illustrated!)
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2008, 10:50 PM »
and sometimes the colouring actually hits the rice and not the work surface,the wife and the cat

Haha, that's funny Jethro!  ;D  :P

I also use liquid colours for the rice. 

I use powders for tikka and tandoori marinades and for tanbdoori masala, where I find powders give more vibrancy.

For rice, a couple of drops (dotted here and there) is all that's required.  To be honest, it doen't have to be criss-cross lines like depicted in the photos. 

I usually add a few of drops of yellow (if the rice is white), maybe one or two drops of red and (occassionally) a drop of green.  It's important not to overdo it or you'll end up with a day-glow mess!

Alternatively, I make the rice all yellow, by adding yellow liquid food colouring to the rice as it boils.  Then I subsequently just add a drop or two of red and maybe a drop of green.

It's imprortant that the rice is quite dry before you add it though, otherwise the colours will run. 

It then needs to "set" (in a warming drawer or fridge) before mixing, otherwise the colours will bleed, as you mix it, creating a good imitation of abstract art :P

Preferably put the rice in a thin layer, in a large, shallow pan (e.g. a baking or roasting tin). 
hey then need to set

Offline theballboy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2008, 02:37 PM »
Fantastic man. Absolutely. Respect for going the whole hog on this one. Loving my culinary indian experience so far ;D

Offline dawn.s

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2008, 01:23 PM »
HOORAH! At last I've made Pilau rice that hasn't stuck together! Thanks for the step by step instructions. Think I was lacking in patience too. The rice came out fab! Husband was really impressed, and with the curry using a base from this forum. Better be careful or we'll end up having to go for Italian's instead of Indian's :-\

Offline wooper

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2008, 04:42 PM »
Hi all.

great recipe.

I always use liquid colour and a small pipette.  You can buy these from any chemist without suspicion you have dog worms or a drug habit.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2008, 08:12 PM »
I tried this last night and it's the best rice I've made yet. I don't have the correct food colouring, so just used my standard yellow powdered stuff. The main things I learned were the frying of the whole spices and the bit about not cooking the rice all the way through. After a shot in the micro it really was just like the BIR.

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2008, 08:31 PM »
I tried this last night and it's the best rice I've made yet. I don't have the correct food colouring, so just used my standard yellow powdered stuff. The main things I learned were the frying of the whole spices and the bit about not cooking the rice all the way through. After a shot in the micro it really was just like the BIR.

CA definately has a winner here, just done another batch tonight with a Madras (CR0 base and Darths Madras recipe) nearly ready and tastes rather nice :)

Offline mattjwood

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Made this last night. Its the best rice iv tasted! Got a lovely flavour to it!

Here are some piccies:

CA'S Pilau Rice! - DONE!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 01:31 PM »
Having seen photos of some members' pilau rice posted recently, I thought it might be helpful if I elaborate a little on the techniques that I currently use.

1)  Rinse the rice thoroughly (until the water runs clear).  This removes loose starch and thereby minimises sticking and enables free flowing grains to be produced

2)  Soak the rice in water for a while (at least a few minutes).  This softens and elongates the grains.

3)  Drain the rice well.  This removes excess water prior to frying.

4)  I currently fry the spices in a few tablespoons of ghee.  The spices I currently use are: a couple of cloves (not too many because their taste is overpowering), a few cardamom pods (cracked open), a few fresh curry leaves, a piece of cassia bark (and/or a cinnamon stick), an Indian (or English) bay leaf, half a teaspoon or so of panch phoran (an equal mix of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, wild onion seeds and fennel seeds), a few chopped coriander stalks and a little chopped pandam leaves....all of which are optional of course.

5)  I have stopped using the garlic and ginger I specified in the recipe since I think it overpowers the taste.

6)  I generally add a little yellow food colouring (and/or a little tumeric when frying the spices) to impart an overall pale yellow colour (instead of white) to the rice.

6)  The rest of the process is as described in the recipe.

7)  Boiling in excess water is by far the simplest (i.e. most easily conrolled) method for the novice.  I don't think much in the way of taste is sacrificed.  But the end result (free-flowing grains) is more easily achievable.

8)  It is important to add sufficient water to ensure that the rice does not boil away to a stodge.  It is also important not to add too much water so as to dilute the taste too much.

9)  IT IS IMPORTANT TO ONLY BOIL THE RICE UNTIL IT IS JUST AL DENTE (i.e still has a bite).  Always err on the side of undercooking it rather than overcooking it. It only takes about 5 to 7 minutes for basmati rice.

10)  When ready, immediately transfer to a colander to drain

11)  Drain well, but do not leave it to congeal in the colander for too long (a few minutes is sufficient)

12)  Transfer the rice to a large shallow dish (e.g. a roasting tray)

13)  DOT A LIMITED AMOUNT OF FOOD COLOURING OVER THE RICE.  I use a couple of DROPS of liquid yellow (to accentuate the yellow in places), a DROP or two or liquid red, and a DROP or of liquid green....all of which are optional of course.  I don't use a syringe or anything else, just pour it from the bottle and be careful not to overdo it.  DO NOT USE TOO MUCH RED OR GREEN....it might not look too pretty!  :P

14)  Put the rice in the fridge to dry well.  Leave it for a couple of hours for the colours to "fix" or they will bleed into the rice when you mix it!

15)  After a couple of hours, remove the rice from the fridge and gently mix it by turning with a large spoon (being careful not to break the grains)

The photos show:

- the rice after boiling and draining
- the liquid food colourings I use
- the rice after addition of the liquid food colourings
- the rice after drying the rice, "fixing" the colours in the fridge, and mixing
- the rice ready to serve

I hope this is helpful  :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2008, 01:34 PM »
And the other photos.....

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2008, 05:55 PM »
Having seen photos of some members' pilau rice posted recently, I thought it might be helpful if I elaborate a little on the techniques that I currently use.

That looks excellent CA. Great post! I'll be trying this again soon and hopefully get even better results! ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes