Author Topic: Deggi Mirch infestation  (Read 7095 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Deggi Mirch infestation
« on: May 14, 2015, 11:33 PM »
I shouldn't have left my pack of MDH Deggi Mirch powder imperfectly sealed for so long. As I went to use some this evening, to my surprise, I saw a maggot of some kind crawling around the top of the chilli powder.

On further investigation I found 30 or 40 of the little devils and I cut them all in half. How on earth, though, can such a creature survive in what you'd think is quite a hostile environment? Some of them were burrowing around deep below the surface where the lack of oxygen might be another problem.

When I buy another pack, I will be sure to transfer it to a glass jar, immediately.

Here are the creatures after being cut in half:

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Deggi Mirch infestation
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 11:50 PM »

When I buy another pack, I will be sure to transfer it to a glass jar, immediately.

You may find that this wont help you.  I have found that many contaminated products are in fact this way when they are supplied.  Sometimes the bugs will be in the egg or larvae stage and develop further in the container. 

I purchased a sealed container of dried dill tips about 3 or 4 years back and after the initial use, which was fine, and having them in the sealed container for a few months, was very surprised to find the whole thing crawling with tiny little black beatles the size of a pinhead.  Hundreds of them. I was even more surprised when I took the container from the spice cupboard only a few weeks back to find more of them and still alive.  I tossed it out.

I'm sure that many products come with passengers.  Chilli powder is one I've seen contaminated before.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 12:15 AM »
I've had this with semolina. Like you say Livo the eggs are already present and hatch in the bag I also had little black beetles, they were bigger than a pinhead though.

littlechilie

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 12:46 AM »
George the powder coming from the cut corner of the bag looks moist, do you have a damp issue near your storage? Even after time the powder should remain dry as things will breed in damp conditions.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 09:18 AM »
I shouldn't have left my pack of MDH Deggi Mirch powder imperfectly sealed for so long. As I went to use some this evening, to my surprise, I saw a maggot of some kind crawling around the top of the chilli powder.

On further investigation I found 30 or 40 of the little devils and I cut them all in half.

George, what sort of sadist are you ? What possible pleasure could you derive from cutting 30 or 40 little maggots in half ?  If you don't like them, put them in a sieve, wash off the ground chillies and then put them outside for the birds -- they will all be gone in 20 minutes or less, and their little lives will not have been wasted.

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Revenge.  Phil, your not turning into an abolitionist are you? :D

I did wonder myself though.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 11:29 AM »
Revenge.  Phil, your not turning into an abolitionist are you? :D  I did wonder myself though.

No, I just feel that all life is precious.  If we kill an animal, then let us eat its flesh and use whatever other parts (skin, bones, blood, etc) we can.  To take a life simply because one finds it repellent is (to my mind) simply wrong (I make an exception for mosquitoes and other harmful parasites, bacteria, viruses and pathogens, however).

** Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 11:36 AM »
I'd check all your other spices George. Look at any clear jars you might have, shake them about and turn them upside down. Any dangly bits?
Seen any small moths around?
I had those kitchen moths in Wales. And the only thing that's safe is airtight containers!
Speaking to a friend at the time who is a pest controller, there is nothing to kill them.
I had to clean and check everywhere and put ALL powders into lock and lock containers.

p.s. don't forget to check the underside of drawers.  ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 12:08 PM »
p.s. don't forget to check the underside of drawers.  ;)

Yours and your visitors' :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 12:54 PM »
If you don't like them, put them in a sieve, wash off the ground chillies and then put them outside for the birds -- they will all be gone in 20 minutes or less, and their little lives will not have been wasted.

I did think about feeding them to the birds- I even make my own fat balls for sparrows -  but I worried about the effect the chilli powder might have. I admit I didin't think about washing them first!

Livo's and Mike's comments about bugs often being packed with the produce is an eye-opener, and I hadn't considered that either.

Littlechilie - you may be right - my storage conditions are far from ideal.

I'd check all your other spices George. Look at any clear jars you might have, shake them about and turn them upside down. Any dangly bits?
Seen any small moths around?
I had those kitchen moths in Wales. And the only thing that's safe is airtight containers!

You are all so helpful, raising issues I'd never thought much about, before.
Does anyone know what those 'maggots' actually are. Are they young moths, are you saying?

©2024 Curry Recipes