Author Topic: Indian Breads,Chapati,Roti  (Read 2433 times)

littlechilie

Indian Breads,Chapati,Roti
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:03 PM »
I'm on a mission at the moment to perfect my Naan breads, there is a great many videos and advice on indian breads.

The recent Naan recipe I posted is good but I'm sure it's still not correct, the same is my opinion of the happy Naan! I believe it's got to come down to the process of mixing,needing and slapping combined with the correct dough.

Anyway I will update as I get along but feel free to post any discussions or advice,videos on the title subject.

Here is today's effort it's an method and process not posted.

}

}

Coriander Naan, you can see how soft it is as I cut the end corner, it's not been wrapped In foil so is soft straight off the heat!
Taste is very good indeed but I need to make Moore from the batch to see if things are consistent.
LC.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Breads,Chapati,Roti
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25 PM »
I've been using a bit of Atta flour in my most recent naan attempts and my wife commented that the last batch were the best I've done at 25/75 %.  I just found that the Maida flour versions lacked flavour.  I felt that the last lot I made was closer to the missing flavour I experience in the T/A or restaurant version.  I have some dough in the fridge that is 50/50 flour ready to cook today.

Also, I'm currently trying this out this time round.  I was going through all my old paper recipes last week to try and sort out what was what and I came across some pages that had been photocopied from an Indian Cookery book of unknown name. I think my wife must have done them many years ago as they have notes written on the pages that are not in my own hand and I don't recall ever seeing them before. They could go back quite a way, but I'm not sure.

On page 186 there is a recipe for Roasted Unleavened Bread (Chappati) and Leavened Bread (Naan) which is not dissimilar to others I've seen but here it is anyway.

Leavened Bread (Naan)
Makes 6-8
Ingredients
2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
4 Tbsp Warm Milk
2 tsp Caster sugar
450g plain flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt
150 ml milk
150 ml natural yogurt
1 beaten egg
25g melted ghee.
Chopped Coriander and onion seed to sprinkle.

Usual bread process of proving yeast in warm milk with sugar, followed by
mixing, kneading, rising, forming and baking.

Incidentally the recipe says to knead the dough well and they are oven baked at 200'C.

Naan is a mission and I agree with you in that I've been not satisfied with some of the more popular versions.

©2024 Curry Recipes