Author Topic: The Glasgow base update  (Read 20102 times)

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Glasgow base update
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 10:44 AM »
hi livo,
         are you going to cook the curry glasgow style,in the YT videos i have watched they did not use mixed powder in the finished dish,i give this method a go and i found it lacked flavor,so i used it like i would any other base (used mixed powder)and it was much better this way.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2015, 10:50 AM »
I have a very open mind and plenty of time so I'll be trying it as recommended with the appropriate matching recipes and then with my own variations if and as required.  I already have one in mind for a modified korma.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 03:13 AM »
hi livo,
         are you going to cook the curry glasgow style,in the YT videos i have watched they did not use mixed powder in the finished dish,i give this method a go and i found it lacked flavor,so i used it like i would any other base (used mixed powder)and it was much better this way.

You have to use the precooked chicken or lamb as they do though because that's a big part of the flavour. I get annoyed with the constant updates/variations Alex comes up with but I do like the Glasgow curries that I make (from his e-book). I'm not saying they're perfect but they're definitely palatable.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 10:03 AM »
You have to use the precooked chicken or lamb as they do though because that's a big part of the flavour. I do like the Glasgow curries that I make (from his e-book).
I'm making up the ebook base now
Some of my best results have been with this
This is as close as you can get without using genuine bhajee oil

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 11:57 AM »
I just did the ebook basic korma and the Sri Lankan using the pre-cooked chicken and they were delicious.  I also used the leftover cooking liquid from the chicken to pre-cook a batch of vegies and then used his base and some tomato with standard onion and G/G for a really nice side.

His Pilau rice from the ebook is good.  I used Safflower instead of yellow colour.  Very good rice.  Served with a Lamb Madras from the freezer and some samosa and naan, it was all great.  Loved the smell of the Sri Lankan Korma with the methi.  Curry heaven.

Best $5.23 AUD I've spent in a while.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 01:10 PM »
chicken ... veggies ... tomato ... onion...G/G ... rice ... Safflower ...  Lamb ... samosa ... naan ... methi.

Best $5.23 AUD I've spent in a while.

Bl@@dy h@ll, food must be dirt cheap in Oz if you can buy all that lot for AUD 5.23 !
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 11:59 PM »
No, ah sorry phil.  I wasn't very clear on that at all was I? I paid that for the ebook after exchange to AUD from GBP.

The food was probably more like $20 AUD or
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:13 AM by livo »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 07:56 AM »
'Twas a joke, Livo, just a joke ...
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 10:32 AM »
Fare enuff, but I wasn't clear so, worth clarification anyhow.  Food is cheap out here though, for now. You just have to hope you don't come back as a chicken or a sheep in your next life.

littlechilie

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Thanks Alex for the copy of you're book and the recent updated Base Gravy, I have been totally enjoying the read ;)

Having cooked and enjoyed the original Glsgow Base many times I now have the updated Glasgow Base on the stove top as I write.
I'm most looking forwards to trying out a list of you recipes and will feed back my thoughts.

Just to add I have been using jb's and Ali's base for the last few months, both great gravies, but I'm looking to tone down and mellow the flavour of my finished dish.

As I'm now finding I'm achieving to much flavour! it's just astounding the difference gravies make to the finished product, even using a small amount of Garlic tarka in Jb's base carries itself right through my finished Madras Sauce.

LC

©2024 Curry Recipes