Author Topic: North East England Doner Kebab Chilli Sauce recipe request please :)  (Read 32429 times)

Offline blackcloud

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello all

Hoping you can help. I lived in the North east of England but now live in Scotland.

I use to love Doner Kebabs but sadly the chilli sauce here is nothing like in the North East England, the chilli sauce here is really sweet and a completely different texture, its more like Sweet and Sour sauce you get will a Chinese. The chilli sauce in the North East England seems to be more of a Chopped tomatoes or Pizza sauce based chilli.

I've tried a few recipes but none have worked so far.

I'm not sure what chilli sauce is like in the rest of England though, I presume the same as the North East of England but not sure.

So wondering if anyone has any recipes for the type of Chilli Sauce I need?

WOuld most appreciate it.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Never had a Chinese-style sweet and sour kebab sauce in Scotland.

Have a look at Alex Wilkie's YouTube video. This chilli sauce is pretty much spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_gsLomMuM

Offline blackcloud

• Chef
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe your in a different place inn Scotland but in Glasgow and around I have been to around 30 kebab places and ALL their chilli sauces are pretty much the same in taste and texture etc. They are very sweet. For instance the chilli sauce here in Glasgow looks like this

http://mumtazjee.com/sites/default/files/16356_0.jpg

but in the north of England it looks like this

http://www.howtocookgoodfood.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IMG_4870-_Snapseed1.jpg

ofcourse those are only pictures but the pictures at least you can tell they both have probably very different ingredients and tastes.

I watched the video and yes that's how the chilli sauce is here in Glasgow, but I'm looking for a non sweet type and the type in that 2nd picture, so if anyone has a recipe that would be great.

Maybe the chilli sauce here in Glasgow uses mango chutney, tomato ketchup and yogart but in the north east of England they dont use mango chutney, tomato ketchup and yogart but use tomato pure or tinned chopped tomato or pizza sauce instead. I don't know.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Why not just make a pizza sauce and add chilli if that's what you like  :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Why not just make a pizza sauce and add chilli if that's what you like  :)
When God was handing out the "helpfulness" gene, Garp, did you deliberately hide or did she simply overlook you ?
** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Firstly, Phil, there is no god so the rest of your post is void.

Secondly,

The chilli sauce in the North East England seems to be more of a Chopped tomatoes or Pizza sauce based chilli.

I don't see how suggesting that blackcloud makes a pizza sauce and adds chilli is unhelpful. But I'm sure you will tell me  ;D

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
I don't see how suggesting that blackcloud makes a pizza sauce and adds chilli is unhelpful.

I believe that this remark indicates that, as suspected, you do indeed lack all trace of the "helpfulness" gene.

But I'm sure you will tell me  ;D

With great pleasure :

If someone, in his opening post, asked "Can you tell me how to make a Chicken Madras", the possible replies would fall into two categories :

1) The helpful replies ("Well, you would first need to make a base sauce <link>, then pre-cook some chicken <link>, then follow the instructions here <link> to produce the finished dish").

2) The Garp-style replies ("Make a Madras sauce and add some pre-cooked chicken to it").

Do you see the difference ?

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
If someone, in his opening post, asked "Can you tell me how to make a Chicken Madras", the possible replies would fall into two categories :

1) The helpful replies ("Well, you would first need to make a base sauce <link>, then pre-cook some chicken <link>, then follow the instructions here <link> to produce the finished dish").

2) The Garp-style replies ("Make a Madras sauce and add some pre-cooked chicken to it").

Do you see the difference ?

** Phil.

Of course I can see the difference, Phil. I can see the difference between the example you gave and the OP's original request. Your example was of a general nature, whilst the OP's was very specific - 'I want a sauce which is like a pizza sauce but with chilli' (or words to that effect). So I maintain that suggesting they make a pizza sauce and add chilli is very helpful, to the point that it interrupted my viewing of Andy Murray getting gubbed - I didn't have to do that.......

But I bow to your superior delusions of grandeur, so I will attempt to be really really helpful:

To have a chilli kebab sauce like they serve in the North East of England, you have various choices -

1/ Stay in the North East of England,
2/ Travel from your current location to the North East of England and have a kebab with said sauce,
3/ Relocate from another part of the UK to North East England and frequent their kebab shops,
4/ Watch this video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IcEyz5kAww

and add chilli.

Hope that helps :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
To have a chilli kebab sauce like they serve in the North East of England, you have various choices -

1/ Stay in the North East of England,
2/ Travel from your current location to the North East of England and have a kebab with said sauce,
3/ Relocate from another part of the UK to North East England and frequent their kebab shops,
4/ Watch this video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IcEyz5kAww

and add chilli.

Option 5 :  Ask on a nice friendly forum such as this one, and hope that anyone other than Garp answers your post.  I'm afraid I can't help, because I detest chilli sauce with doner kebabs (but love the tsatziki-style sauce that we used to be able to get near Exmouth Market, just south of Islington), but I'm sure that someone will be able to assist.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:05 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
I'm afraid I can't help, because I detest chilli sauce with doner kebabs (but love the tsatziki-style sauce that we used to be able to get near Exmouth Market, just south of Islington), but I'm sure that someone will be able to assist.

If you can't help, Phil, why get involved in this thread at all? I was trying to help; you were......let me think.........trying to boost your over-inflated ego?........lacking attention recently?.......

©2024 Curry Recipes