Author Topic: North East England Doner Kebab Chilli Sauce recipe request please :)  (Read 32446 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
If you can't help, Phil, why get involved in this thread at all?
Because, Garp, when a newcomer to the forum asks a sensible and intelligent question, he is entitled to expect that he will receive sensible and intelligent replies.  If the only replies that Blackcloud gets apart from Naga's are yours, he is going to think that this forum is the last place to ask for help, and look for help elsewhere.  I can only assume that that is what you are trying to accomplish with your sarcastic, so-called "helpful", replies.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:59 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
I would argue whether the original post was 'sensible and intelligent'.

But let's leave this thread to those from North East Engerland to provide the necessary information, rather than further fuel your delusions :)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Blackcloud, the pictures you posted are clearly 2 different sauces.  The top one to me looks like it's just Sweet Thai Chilli Sauce out of a bottle.  The second photo clearly has a more tomato based appearance.  I doubt that either of the sauces you refer to are made in store by the kebab shops, but are most likely bought in bulk. Try asking them what it is.  You can probably buy it.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
The first picture is a version of Thai chilli sauce -

To make a reasonable sauce for your kebabs why not try this
three tbsp of Thai style sweet chilli sauce, small pot of natural yogurt and a tsp of Colman's mint sauce - stir it all up - if too thick add a little milk

best, Rich

Offline blackcloud

• Chef
    • View Profile
Thanks for all your replies.

I think my question was an intelligent and good question as making good Chilli Sauce is an art and is not just something like Pizza sauce and chillis, its many things such as Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Green/red chillis, onions, Tomato Puree or Chopped tomatoes or Pizza sauce, Mint Sauce, vinegar and many other things and also getting the right proportion is a skill too. Its not all of those things but have been told good chilli sauce contains a few of those things at least.

When I have asked before in Kebab shops they have said its a recipe secret and have not told me.

Theres a very distinctive taste to Kebab chilli sauce in the north of England to Glasgow, Scotland. Night and Day difference, the difference is kind of like Brown sauce to Ketchup, to me I would not have chips without Ketchup on them but wouldn't have brown sauce on it, if I only had the choice of brown sauce I wouldnt have chips at all, but would sure miss them, so for me not having the Kebab with the type of Chilli Sauce pretty much everywhere sells in the North of England I will not have a kebab and would and do miss them, so thats why I would like to figure out how to make a good north East England Chilli Sauce.

Livo, the pictures are just examples of how the chilli sauces kind of look here in Glasgow to the North east of England, I know those chilli sauces are not the acual chilli sauces I am talking about they are just how they look here in Glasgow and in the North of England thats all. Just using them as an example of looks.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Kebab Sauce Recipe-

1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
    1 Large onion finely chopped
    4 Cloves garlic finely sliced
    3 Teaspoons Mint Sauce
    50ml Distilled Vinegar
    10 Green finger Chillies

Mix up in a food processor, or very finely chop everything by hand

Offline blackcloud

• Chef
    • View Profile
Madrasandy thanks, I have tried that one, I have tried everyone I could find online but none were very good, so was hoping people on here might have some recipes
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:00 PM by blackcloud »

Offline Onions and Garlic

• Chef
    • View Profile
I tried this last week
Tin of tomatoes
a large white onion
4 cloves of garlic,
a splash of white wine vinegar
a big blob of ketchup,
a couple of teaspoons of mint sauce
handful of red chillis.
blender until really fine, then into the fridge where it should save for a couple of days.

From here http://getstuffedblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/make-your-own-chilli-sauce-ideal-for.html
Not bad but I think added too much vinegar,
I think next time I would blend in a whole red pepper too.

The Hairy bikers also made one in Turkey but I can't find the recipe for that. One day I'll have to record it and then write it down. Hope your Kebab was good

Chris.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 09:34 PM by Onions and Garlic »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
The Hairy bikers also made one in Turkey but I can't find the recipe for that. One day I'll have to record it and then write it down.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/dvHmvBLxEXU
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:33 AM by DalPuri »

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hi blackcloud, a bit of experimenting with the ingredient ratios might get you close to what your after.
It's unlikely kebab shops, regardless of region put too much effort into donner sauce & if you recognise a specific flavour or texture in across the north east, then it probably points to a concoction of the ingredients in the posts above, rather than fresh.

Regards

ELW

©2024 Curry Recipes