Author Topic: North East England Doner Kebab Chilli Sauce recipe request please :)  (Read 32376 times)

Offline blackcloud

• Chef
    • View Profile
Thanks, I have been trying for over a 15 years to make a good chilli sauce, the only way I think its going to happen is if someone works in a Kebab Shop and tell me the recipe or someone knows someone who works in a Kebab shop and can find out a recipe in England that is as the ones I have had in Scotland have been totally different to the ones in England.

Offline Onions and Garlic

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi Blackcloud, I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvHmvBLxEXU there is a little bit about boiling peppers and chilli at the beginning then the rest is at 1:30 interesting, no garlic, no onion just salt pepper olive oil and white wine vinegar all reduced. Have you tried it?

Offline blackcloud

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I have not tried that recipe yet as it doesn't look like the right texture and seems to be totally different ingredients to what I thought chilli sauce has in it but I will give it a try though and see how it works out anyhow. Just going to try and figure out the recipe now.

Offline blackcloud

• Chef
    • View Profile
OK I have watched the video and have done my best to get the recipe

boil hot red and green peppers
Get the boiled chilli peppers and red peppers, pass them through a sieve
put red pepper and chilli pur?e back into the cooking liquid and bring it back to the boil
add Turkish chilli flakes
add black pepper
add salt
tea spoon full of sugar
2 desert spoons full of olive oil
1 desert spoon full of white wine vinegar
cook for half and hour

What I dont understand is when he says put the red pepper and chilli pur?e back into the cooking liquid ? What cooking liquid? The cooking liquid that the hot red and green peppers were boiled in?? If so, how much water should I use to boil the peppers in at the start do you think?

When they were boiling the hot green and red peppers they looked really big? I have never seen hot green and red peppers that big before? THey looked as big as non hot bell peppers?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:28 PM by blackcloud »

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
This was a recipe a turkish friend give me that they used in the shop he worked at in birmingham,it was over 25 years ago so i dont know if its the same as it is now,the problem is it has been that long since i made it i cant remember measurements but it was pretty good,these were the ingredients,

celery
carrot
onion
ginger
garlic
red pepper
fresh tomatoes
tomato puree
chilli powder
paprika
sugar to taste
salt to taste
water

simply put all the ingredients in a blender until it is a smooth paste,then just simmer it for 2 hours,it was much better after it had been left to cool before being chilled,sorry i cant remember the quantities,but i am sure if you wanted to give it a go you could work it out.

Offline blackcloud

• Chef
    • View Profile
Thanks for that Power, can I ask though, when you say Red Pepper do you mean a Red Chilli or a Red Bell Pepper?

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
yes bc,red bell pepper and i also forgot to mention they used red birds eye chillis.

Offline daveeb

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: North East England Doner Kebab Chilli Sauce recipe request please :)
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2015, 06:21 PM »
Hi
I cracked this a few years ago and live in the northeast, in fact I was trying to match a one from wallsend and got it perfect - I'll dig out my recipe and post it on here as soon as

Offline daveeb

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: North East England Doner Kebab Chilli Sauce recipe request please :)
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Right, here we go - dead easy, dead quick
I use a stick blender and the plastic beaker it comes with.

Put in
1 tin chopped toms
100g - 200g sliced white cabbage (more you put in the thicker it is)
2-3 table spoons branstons spicy Tom relish (used to use Bicks but they sold to Branson - same recipe)
5-10 finger chillis (again practice to what you like - I've tried chilli powder which works but is just not as good as real chillis)
1/2 teaspoon basil
Salt
Loads of lemon dressing
Sweetener/sugar to taste - this takes the edge off the bitterness from the toms

Don't put raw onion or garlic in as you just can't eat it, it's too strong

Blitz with the stick blender - done

Play around with the chillis to get it as hot as you like, I now put some fresh coriander in as well but that's just coz I like it in there, you don't get coriander in kebab shop chilli.

©2024 Curry Recipes