Author Topic: haway the lads.  (Read 6966 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: haway the lads.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 11:04 AM »
It must have changed beyond all recognition from the 60's, then.  In those days you could rely on Brick Lane for authentic Indian cuisine as eaten by the locals -- no pulao rice, only steamed white, and a huge complimentary dish of onions and fresh chillies.  I sincerely hope that what you observed was a one-off; or was a case of misinterpretation -- it sounds so out of character to me.

** Phil.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 08:45 PM »
These days there are some no go areas where some asians make it  clear others are not welcome.  Brick lane has been depicted as one such case as the cctv footage clearly showed.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 10:43 AM »
I cannot help but feel that officially naming a region of London "Spitalfields and Banglatown" is not in anyone's best interests ...

** Phil.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 03:42 PM »
The whole episode is beyond belief - enough to put anyone off venturing anywhere near the place in search of a curry.

Rusholme in Manchester at Eid is also a dangerous place - and police checkpoints have warned people about the potential for trouble as you enter.  I know - I was up that way one Eid - having forgotten the 'celebrations' were on.  I turned my motor round and went elsewhere for our curry night.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 09:37 PM »
I cannot help but feel that officially naming a region of London "Spitalfields and Banglatown" is not in anyone's best interests ...

The name Spitalfields appears in the form Spittellond in 1399; as The spitel Fyeld on the "Woodcut" map of London of c.1561; and as Spyttlefeildes, also in 1561.[2] The land belonged to St Mary Spital, a priory or hospital erected on the east side of the Bishopsgate thoroughfare in 1197, and the name is thought to derive from this.
Wikipedia

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 09:49 PM »
Er, T63, it was not the "Spitalfields" element to which I was alluding ...

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 05:41 AM »
Banglatown was just a marketing tool that used the point that most of the inhabitants were from Bangladesh as opposed to being from India.
No wicki on Banglatown, which tells you something.

©2024 Curry Recipes