Author Topic: Chicken Madras  (Read 8356 times)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Madras
« on: September 15, 2015, 11:58 AM »
Hi all. I have been making my madras like this for a while now after doing a comparison with my local restaurant. It's a very simple curry and quite quick to make.

Ingredients

2 TBS oil
1 tsp G/G paste
1 tsp diluted tomato puree
1/2 tsp heaped mix powder
1 tsp Deggi Mirch
1 tsp Kashmiri Mirch
1 portion pre cooked chicken
1 good squirt lemon dressing
350 ml base sauce (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,13939.0.html)
Pinch of coriander finely chopped
Pinch of Salt to taste

Method
Heat the oil on a medium heat then add the G/G paste, wait for the sizzle to die down then add the tomato puree. I wait for it to change colour to an orange colour then add the mix powder, deggi mirch and kashmiri mirch with a touch of base sauce. Mix this well and allow it to sizzle in the pan for a minute then add 150 ml of base and turn the heat up to near full. When the oil separates add the chicken and a pinch of coriander. Mix this well and add a good squirt of lemon dressing and salt. Mix again and then add the remaining base sauce and put a lid on and reduce until the required consistency is achieved. I like mine quite saucy hehehehe. I find the sauce has a fair heat but some may prefer to put more chilli powder or even some finely chopped finger chillies in. I have found that when I try it before the second amount of base sauce it's a bit bland but once the lid is on and plenty of caramelisation has taken place the flavour is a good madras flavour, so it's more about technique than ingredients. The smell in the kitchen is very BIR. I use measuring spoons for my powders, oil and G/G paste.My mix powder is 1 part mild madras(TRS), 3 parts mild madras(Rajah), 3 parts turmeric, 3 parts Paprika, 3 parts ground coriander, 3 parts ground cumin and 1.5 parts garam masala(Rajah). Here are some pictures, this one has some potato in because I only had a small amount of chicken left. I hope someone tries this so I can get some feedback.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 12:33 PM »
Looks superb!

best, Rich

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 01:20 PM »
Thanks Rich. It went down a treat, I even licked the plate hehehe

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 03:38 PM »
Nice looking madras and the spuds are good idea if you don't have enough chicken.

London.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 05:14 PM »
Thanks London. Yes do like a potato or two in a spicy curry.

Rob

Offline leeroydan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 03:58 PM »
That look's belting, going to try this over the weekend.

Offline leeroydan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 09:25 AM »
This was my attempt using JB's base with lamb.
Made some adjustments to the recipe by adding some methi leaves and tamarind paste.
Very pleased with the resulting curry, definitely elements of that BIR taste.

©2024 Curry Recipes