Author Topic: Base gravy using roasted onions.  (Read 4132 times)

Offline jonnymansell

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Base gravy using roasted onions.
« on: October 08, 2015, 05:24 PM »
Hi,

Has anyone ever tried roasting onions before making the base gravy?

I love the taste of a roasted onion and thought that it may work in cooking a curry, i haven't tried this myself yet but will give it a go and report back what I find.

Cheers.

Offline jonnymansell

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Base gravy using roasted onions.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 01:21 PM »
Awful, don't bother! Haha.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 01:24 PM »
Classic!  ;D Cheers for risking life and limb in curry R&D ;)  but I kind of thought it might be... did you roast them and then boil them through or blend them after roasting, and then mixing?

Offline jonnymansell

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:16 PM »
Roasted and then boiled into CAs base. I think I over roasted to be honest but it's not worth even trying again. 😣

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 07:25 PM »
Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. I was sceptical when I saw your first post but didn't want to go all negative on you.

My advice would be to stick with a popular base recipe like any of chewytikkas, or the currently in-vogue JB base.

Doing things differently is sometimes worth a try though. Today I've made the bhagar for a batch of base sauce in a casserole in the oven, to see if a less-mess alternative was possible. Seems to have gone ok but took a long time. Mind you, tthe base is yet to be fully completed to I'll know for sure if the flavours are ok later when I taste it.

Offline Kattis

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 01:23 PM »
Hi,

Has anyone ever tried roasting onions before making the base gravy?

I love the taste of a roasted onion and thought that it may work in cooking a curry, i haven't tried this myself yet but will give it a go and report back what I find.

Cheers.

i have deep fried.. but i think the idea is to boil the onions base, then when you added it to your curries.. the onion caramelizes and gives it the sweetness.. so pre-frying or roasting the onions would spoil that "innit"   :) but of course experiment away :)

©2024 Curry Recipes