Author Topic: The Perfect 'Poppadam'  (Read 3747 times)

Offline mustapharuby

• Chef
    • View Profile
The Perfect 'Poppadam'
« on: December 09, 2006, 09:59 PM »
How do the Restuarants produce the dry crispy perfect  poppadam, having tried various methods but not quite getting the puffed up dryness that they seem to get...any suggestions please. :)

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect 'Poppadam'
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 10:09 PM »
hi mustapha
cook them in hot oil for max 3-5 seconds remove dry in warm oven standing upright on their ends for 30 mins that should fill your kitchen with that bir smell ;)

regards
gary ;)

Offline mustapharuby

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 01:30 AM »
Thanks Gary, I did not stand them in the oven for 30mins, but certainly will now.
cheers. :-* :-*

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 03:28 AM »
Hi Mustapharuby,

These links might be of help:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=265.msg2065#msg2065
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1002.msg8677#msg8677

Also, try doing a search.....there's tons more other stuff on poppadoms here

Regards,

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 08:18 AM »

Hi Mustapharuby {love the handle }, Don't forget to have the oil at smoking point before putting in the popadom, break a tiny piece off and drop it in , if it starts to fry {without burning} it's ready for your batch. Another good tip is to put 2 in at a time {have 2 wooden spatchulars ready } this stops the bottom one curling over, and just flip them over to cook the other. Much easier for holding them to shake the excess oil off too. Regard Paul

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 12:42 PM »
Great tip Spicy!  Never thought of that one ;D  I fry Poppadoms and dry them in the oven also but I grill pappads as they come as they contain more oil; the latter are the ones that are more oily and usually contain spices, also the Birs usually fold them in half.  I think it was Cory that asked what was the difference between the types, my thoughts were they were made from a different sets of ingredients, and pappads contain more oil.

Mustapharuby - if you follow Cory's links and do some searching on the Forum you will find lots of info.

Good luck
CP

©2024 Curry Recipes