Author Topic: CHILLI GROW 2016  (Read 18833 times)

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: CHILLI GROW 2016
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 03:13 PM »
All 7 of my good germinators have 2ndry leaf growth now - but spindly white stems still.  Late sprouter struggling - but will keep it going to see if it gets there eventually.

Putting them onto sunny windowsill in the day when it applies.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2016, 11:48 AM »
Spindly white stems now turning greener after daily exposure to sunny windowsill.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2016, 04:47 PM »
Late sprouter died off ans I've cocked up 2 more when transferring to a larger pot when pricking out from the look of 'em - plus the dreaded spider mite (must be in the soil?) attacking one.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2016, 04:46 PM »
sprayed the plants with bug spray to stop the spider mites and it looks like 3x have definitely been badly affected by the spray - bad move on my part.

Now down to 4 plants

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2016, 04:40 PM »
bug spray done for 2x more.

Now down to 2x plants !!  My fingers not as green as I thought.  Maybe that's why they sell you 10x seeds

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 05:49 PM »
Bought 3x Basket of Fire chilli plants to make up for my losses of my own from seed Super Chillis.  1x of these seem to wither fairly quickly after receipt - replaced by co. foc with a not so clever looking plant which turned out to be their last when I mentioned it didn't look too good.

While I was waiting for this replacement plant to be delivered, my wife commented she thought the other 2 Basket of Fire chilli plants had been overwatered by me - water was coming from the pot base.  Soon after, these 2 plants also appeared to wither and die off.  The replacement when it arrived staggered on and seemed to get better with time.

I went away for a while and left all my plants outside - and boy did it rain while I was away for 5 days.  Fearing the worst, I was amazed to see all the plants thriving and looking really good - albeit all of them thoroughly saturated.

This got me thinking about my 2 'overwatered?' withered died off plants - was it chemicals in the tap water I had been using that killed them off - chlorine?  The saturated with rainwater plants have never looked better.

I will only be using rainwater from now on - or at a pinch, tap water that has been boiled to drive off chlorine.

Just my thoughts - everything else has been the same.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2016, 02:46 PM »
Update - of all my efforts with the Super Chilli seeds sown - 10x - 2x are still going OK and showing signs of flowering.  The one surviving Basket of Fire from the 3x plants that was the replacement is likewise.  It's been a long drag - but a good learning curve.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2016, 03:03 PM »
Getting excellent chillies off the 1x Basket of Fire & 2x Super Chillies.  3x Apaches fruiting well too (gave 1x Apache away).

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2016, 03:45 PM »
Very cold nights now with us up norf - chilli plants moved into conservatory to be safe.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2016, 06:03 AM »
It's getting cold down south. Just cropped our scotch bonnets which have done extremely well this year. Used some fresh and strung the rest to hang up and dry

©2024 Curry Recipes