Author Topic: CHILLI GROW 2016  (Read 18661 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
CHILLI GROW 2016
« on: December 28, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Thought Id start a new post for anybody growing chillies this year.
I know a couple already do and a couple intend to start.
I have many many seeds from the cayenne through to naga to carolina reaper and hotter, but not sure if Im going to be able to grow yet this season.
Be great to see what others grow and even offer advice to anybody needing it.
Fingers crossed this summer will be better for growing than last.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: CHILLI GROW 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 03:21 PM »
I shall be growing these next year from seed

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/pepper-sweet-and-chilli-seeds/chilli-pepper-super-chilli-hot/905TM

- previously bought set of 5x different plants - this 'Super Chilli' was amongst them.

Disappointed with the heat & crop amount from my 5x Apache chilli plants this year - no where near as good as the 'Super Chilli'.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 03:33 PM »
Disappointed with the heat & crop amount from my 5x Apache chilli plants this year - no where near as good as the 'Super Chilli'.

I know a lot of growers up and down the country who had disappointing return on their plants last year, hopefully this year will be better.

They shouldnt be too much of a problem to grow ghoulie, and should have decent yield. Are you growing in greenhouse?

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 06:51 PM »
For Christmas I got the following seeds:-
Dorset Naga
Hungarian hot wax
Thunder mountain chinese
Cherry bomb
7 pot white
Trinidad smooth

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 07:22 PM »
Nice varied selection fried, the 7 pot white ( called 7 pot as 1 chilli is upposed to heat 7 pots of food) should be the hottest with the dorset naga, think most others are medium heat.
When you sowing?

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 07:49 PM »
My grow list hopefully will be any of these 7 pot brainstrain, infinity x naga, 7 pot jonah, yellow moruga, choc madballz, brazilian ghost, bbg 7, red bhutlah, trinidan scorpion, bhut orange and a few different nagas including a landrace naga that is brutal , the majority will be naga though
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:03 PM by Madrasandy »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 10:26 PM »
I'll be sowing my seeds (some courtesy of MA - thank you!) In early Feb. I can only hope for some decent sun this year.  The Atlantic storms currently hammering us don't offer much hope though.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 08:41 AM »
I'll also be sowing in February. If this year is as hot as last year in Paris I might even get some chillis. Half will be going to the brother-in-law who has a mate with a greenhouse (and green fingers). Mine will start the year in my missus' office window and return home in late spring.

I hope someone gets at least 1 decent plant from each set of seeds. I also have 2 scotch bonnet plants which gave me one whole chilli between them, not bad considering I was going to chuck 'em the year before. They are nice and bushy now, be nice to get something from them.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 10:38 AM »
Climate is a major issue when growing any of the super hots in the UK, and last summer had some very cold overnight temps.
Some plants never produced any chillies, and others took forever to ripen.
Still a very rewarding (and obsessive) hobby to get into, from the first seedling to appear to the first flower to the first pod and then a ripe chilli.
Fingers crossed I will be able to grow this year

Offline vinders

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Hi all,

I've tried overwintering a thai chilli plant for the first time (grown from seed last year). It's been inside since November and is now showing green shoots so fingers crossed for an early bumber crop!

©2024 Curry Recipes