Author Topic: pre cooked chicken from the takeaway  (Read 3734 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
pre cooked chicken from the takeaway
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:26 PM »
I managed to catch my local takeaway chef do some pre cooked chicken on Sunday night.Quite simple,and quite similar to other recipes here on the site.

First,in a big pan went some mixed veg oil and ghee.There was quite a lot of oil,I guess about an inch deep in the bottom of the pan.Then in went about one and a half heaped chef spoons of blended ginger and garlic paste and some salt,follwoed by some cumin seeds.Then he reached into his mixed spice jar,and added a few whole spices(about five bay leaves,a couple of star anise,some green cardomons and a couple of cinamon sticks.)

Then he added a chef spoon of mix powder and two chef spoons of blended plum tomatoes.

bubbling away for about half an hour until the chicken is cooked.

The finished article

He then tipped it into a plastic container underneath the counter.The chicken sat in a lot of liquid,I guess it stops the chicken drying out,from time to time he also added a little bit of this liquid to some of the dishes he was cooking,I guess another little trick up his sleeve.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:43 PM by jb »

Offline ziggycat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: pre cooked chicken from the takeaway
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:02 PM »
nice one jb..  almost identical to how I cook mine (including adding some of the stock)

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:05 PM »
No water?

London.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 06:56 AM »
My apologies,my scribbled notes and general curry overload!! The chef did fill a main foil container twice with water and added it to the mixture.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 03:23 PM »
JB,

Thanks for clearing that up. As you say similar to other method on here and the one I use which is CBM's.

London.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:04 PM by london »

littlechilie

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 08:16 PM »
 }

Just made this Jb, looks and tasted just as it should 8)dropped a couple of pieces of potato in to save time for my vindaloo. Many thanks.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 09:00 PM »
There's a lot of very tasty looking chicken around tonight  :P  This recipe also seems not only to be pretty much in line with CBM's advanced method but also that used by Imran from the Viceroy.  I must admit, I used frozen chicken, so based on that I didn't bother adding any water as I knew there would be a fair amount coming out of the meat while it was cooking.  I've got to say, what i cooked was the best pre-cooked chicken I've prepped to date  :)  And i'll be doing some more later this week as stocks are now running low again  >:(

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 08:36 PM »
Then he added a chef spoon of mix powder and two chef spoons of blended plum tomatoes.

bubbling away for about half an hour until the chicken is cooked.

Am I missing something here - is the chicken added directly after the plum tomatoes or is there an interim step which is missing from the above description? Any base sauce used?

©2024 Curry Recipes