Author Topic: pre cooked potatoes from the takeaway  (Read 20454 times)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: pre cooked potatoes from the takeaway
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 04:46 PM »
I gave this a go on Saturday night
I cooked them for 40 minutes in the oven but they were a bit over done

Lovely flavour though
My oven is fan assisted
I'll give them half the time when I do it again

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 04:48 PM »

A portion of those, roughed up a bit, then deep fried in hot oil, now your talking! ;D

Spuds any which way, yum :P

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 06:57 PM »

A portion of those, roughed up a bit, then deep fried in hot oil, now your talking! ;D

Spuds any which way, yum :P

Alongside a Chicken Madras.....Double yum  ;D

Offline Rossanderton

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 10:51 AM »
Have just cooked a small batch and they are well tasty, I'll have to force myself not to eat any more! Cracking recipe and thanks for sharing.

Offline scalexkid

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Has no-one else tried this yet? It lends itself to scaling down well and is the perfect starting point for a nice Bombay aloo. Give it a go guys

Got a pan in th oven as I tripe this, some MIck/TAz base for a Jalfrezi (precooked chicken breast from Macro though) made with last of the summers yellow and red peepers from the greenhouse.

I'll try to post a picture or two before scoffing waaaay too much, as the cooking aroma's are rather pleasant.....

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 09:24 PM »
Anybody got a written down recipe or even a scaled down version or any idea how much potatoes are used in the original recipe from JB, thanks.

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Hi I am interested in thescaled down version if anyone has the measurements etc?

Ed

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 08:02 AM »
A couple of people have asked for a scaled down quantity version of jb's recipe and since I always keep notes on the recipes I cook, I thought I would share the below which is my interpretation of the jb method and which I've cooked quite a few times now with good success.  These potatoes come out fully cooked but in no way mushy and seem to tolerate further cooking when added to the final dish. Even tossing them around when cooking a Bombay aloo they keep their shape in a way that boiled potatoes would not, so I'm convinced this oven bake method must be how the BIRs do it. 

No problem to cook these, freeze then defrost and use in a curry, but the qty below will stretch to 3-4 curries, so isn't a huge amount. It's actually a super easy and low-stress cook with nothing difficult at all!

1 chefs spoon or 3 level tablespoon veg oil
1 heaped teaspoon G&G
Half teaspoon cumin seeds or panch phoran - *jb specified cumin, I prefer panch phoran, but either will work
Half teaspoon cumin powder
Half teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 level teaspoon salt
2 heaped dessertspoon chopped tomatoes
750g potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks

----------------
Heat oil and fry G&G with panch phoran seeds. Add turmeric and cumin powder with tomatoes and fry. Add potatoes and fry for 3-5 mins, stirring a little.

Place in lidded oven proof dish, cover pan and place into preheated oven fan 130C for 60 mins.  This works for large potato chunks, if you cut yours smaller then maybe a shorter cook will be enough.  Obviously the size, shape and material of the dish has an influence too. A thin later of potatoes spread across the bottom of a big metal dish will cook much quicker than a piled high heap of pots in a small Pyrex dish.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Thanks for bumping this thread Sverige. I'll give it a go. I used to be a potato boy and I love spuds.  I will definitely give them a try in a Bombay and CT's recommended way.  Might be an excuse to make up a Bombay Bottle Masala to try it out.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 01:00 PM »
I find these potatoes work great as a substitute for meat in any curry, and with the way meat prices are heading it's much more economical too. Aloo Ceylon is especially great as somehow potato and coconut flavours just work well together.

©2024 Curry Recipes