Author Topic: mint sauce from the takeaway  (Read 4819 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
mint sauce from the takeaway
« on: January 19, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Here's how my local takeaway chef makes his mint sauce.It's a full sized recipe,I'm guessing it would be quite easy to scale down.

First,in a standard glass jug blender he put in a big handful of fresh corriander(he chopped about an inch off from the stalks).Then he added three green chillis,the zest of one lime,five garlic cloves,1 green pepper and two tablespoons of Patak's lime pickle.This he blended until it was smooth.Then he added five cups of yoghurt,2 cups of full fat milk,one chefs spoon of Coleman's mint sauce,two chef spoon of sugar.Have to say quite delicious,here's what a tub looks like when you order a takeaway....

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: mint sauce from the takeaway
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 07:44 PM »
Ah, pleased to have it confirmed that my custom of adding Patak's lime pickle to home-made Indian mint sauce is well-founded ...

** Phil.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 08:12 PM »
Excellent info! I can't wait to try a scaled down version of this. I'm quite impressed by the number of ingredients. Clearly not many corners are being cut at this place, as it would be tempting to dumb this down to a cheaper version by omitting a few of those ingredients.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 08:47 PM »
 :o :o :o WOW. This must be the deluxe version compared to that which is served in many establishments. I too am shocked at the number of ingredients used in something to which few people would really pay little attention.  Having said that, if the same ethic is applied to the rest of the food, then i'm not surprised they do very good business jb.  You are being taught by a pro who cares very much about the quality of the food that leaves his kitchen.  I must confess i didn't even try the dip that accompanied my meal.  It went in the fridge for later but later never came and it ended up in B1n.  Shameful I know  :-\.  But as so much effort goes into it i will be definitely trying it tomorrow just to see what a difference such a complex recipe makes  :).

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 07:59 AM »
Ah, pleased to have it confirmed that my custom of adding Patak's lime pickle to home-made Indian mint sauce is well-founded ...

** Phil.

I remember another member years ago(Ghanna?) reported the use of Kashmiri massla paste in their local takeaway's mint sauce.This was definitely lime pickle though.I must admit I'm not actually that keen on mint sauce,but this one actually is very nice.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:49 AM »
Good show jb
curry on   ;)

Offline ziggycat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 12:56 PM »
At last!!! A use for that jar of lime pickle hiding at the back of the cupboard

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 01:38 PM »
At last!!! A use for that jar of lime pickle hiding at the back of the cupboard
Serve it (with a red onion salad) next time you make or eat a lamb dhansak -- a finer pair of accompaniments for that particular dish cannot be imagined.

** Phil.

littlechilie

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 02:35 PM »
Hi jb, thanks again for all the free recent recipie posts, please consider putting all of these recipes together in to a small book. I would love to purchase one from you.

Offline chrisbr

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Hi jb, thanks again for all the free recent recipie posts, please consider putting all of these recipes together in to a small book. I would love to purchase one from you.

I second that as I would also purchase one  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes