Author Topic: Bolton cheats base.  (Read 10344 times)

Offline petespot

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Bolton cheats base.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 08:07 PM »
 I was talking about the curries I had made, Julian Voigt base , Darth Phall base and Darth Phall madras. This base came up in conversation with an Asian co worker. I decided to post it out of interest. Remove it if you wish, I will not be offended.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Maybe try adding a tin of french onion soup to the mix  ;)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 10:07 PM »
Not a true base so i've moved it, but worthy of chatting about.  Not the first time on the site soup has been the topic of a possible quick fix "base".  Could be a "in case of emergency, break glass" moment when there's no gravy in the freezer  :D

Offline petespot

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 11:24 AM »
A good decision to move it. It is not a BIR recipe.
Here is some more info. This was first used by medical students who had no time or facilities to make a proper base.
Here is a usual recipe, (not mine) just for interest. I am not suggesting anybody tries it, I will probably try this when my Darth Phall base runs out.
The base should be mixed with water until thin and runny and kept hot until use.
1 TBSP ghee or oil
1 clove of garlic sliced
1 quarter green pepper sliced
1 fresh tomato quartered
1 small tin of new potatoes, rinsed and diced and/or tinned chickpeas, precooked meat etc.
1 heaped teaspoon ginger/garlic paste
1 onion
Pataks madras paste to taste (catering ?)
1 quarter teaspoon chipotle chilli powder (yes I know its Mexican)
salt to taste
small amount of chopped coriander.
Fry the sliced garlic, green pepper, fresh tomato and new potatoes on high for a few minutes and remove from oil when cooked, leaving the garlic in the oil.
Turn to low and add the g/g paste and onions and cook until the onions soften and are well cooked. Add the madras paste, chilli powder, and any precooked meat.
Add base and cook down, add more base as needed. Put the precooked vegetables and coriander back in and heat through.

littlechilie

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Ok thanks for posting Petespot, but for me I will respectfully decline. The combination just doesn't sound right to me. If I were you I would stick to the tried and tested base sauces on the forum.
Thanks LC

Offline petespot

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 09:16 PM »
 Yes thanks, I think I will. After spending over ?30.00 on spices and ingredients, staining everything yellow and spending hours making Darth Phalls base it does seem a bit pointless.   

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 09:50 PM »
Yes thanks, I think I will. After spending over ?30.00 on spices and ingredients, staining everything yellow and spending hours making Darth Phalls base it does seem a bit pointless.   

That's exactly how much I spent when i started. :D  Spent a lot more since  ??? :-\

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 10:35 PM »
Just think about how much you've save in TA bills though  ;D  Glass now half full rather than half empty guys  ;)  and quids in  :)

littlechilie

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 10:57 PM »
Hi Petespot, if your wanting a fast and mess free base I can fully recommend ChewyTikka's pressure cooking base. http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,5606.0.html#.VqlKnzI46jI.mailto

Sent from my iPhone

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 11:33 PM »
Hi Petespot, if your wanting a fast and mess free base I can fully recommend ChewyTikka's pressure cooking base. http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,5606.0.html#.VqlKnzI46jI.mailto

Sent from my iPhone
I second that Chewy's base is my go to base and when used with his mixed powder and recipes produces really good currys.

London.

©2024 Curry Recipes