Author Topic: List of Mix Powders  (Read 52654 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: List of Mix Powders
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Did this one work for you.

Littlechili Spice Mix (Award Winning  ;))

Desert spoon
2x curry
2x haldi
1x cumin
1x coriander
1/2 sweet paprika
1/2 tandoor masala

Whole Spice
Tea spoon
1x cumin
1x fennel
1x black mustard

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 02:03 PM »
From day one here on this forum, Mixed Powder formulae, that include another mixed powder (of unspecified type :ie, curry powder) as an ingredient has frustrated the hing out of me. 
Seconded.  In spades.
** Phil.

littlechilie

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2018, 03:33 PM »
From day one here on this forum, Mixed Powder formulae, that include another mixed powder (of unspecified type :ie, curry powder) as an ingredient has frustrated the hing out of me. 
Seconded.  In spades.
** Phil.

Thanks Livo and Phil for just confirming my own findings it is a difficult subject I agree, one that I must look into in more detail. Phil I know you had mentioned in the past using individual spice to obtain the desired flavour and taste in your dishes, can I ask are you still Following this method or have you resorted back to a generic mix powder.
Livo it was Rajah brand .
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:52 PM by littlechilie »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2018, 06:11 PM »
No, I still use only single spices unless following someone else's specific recipe.  Yesterday's Madras, for example, use cayenne pepper, ground chillies, ground cumin and kasoori methi -- no mix powder, no curry powder, no bassar masala, no pre-made mix of any sort.

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2018, 08:56 PM »
LC, the question of brand is more rhetorical and one you would ask yourself when the result was not as hoped. Rajah brand is one we don't get here but it is probably fairly standard there. It does contain one thing I've not seen in any other. Pimento.

Garam Masala is a pungent and potent mix by design. If you are sensitive to it, then reduce or omit it as needs be. Or perhaps a different blend will help.

littlechilie

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 06:31 AM »
Hi Phil, yes I remember you saying about your individual spice . I have to agree I like your thinking and hoping to follow this line on my pursuit of traditional Indian cookery.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Isn't it a bit confusing to be talking about traditional Indian cooking in a topic about BIR mix powders on a BIR forum? Yes you can mix together some spices and add it when you cook a traditional curry, but the concept of  "mix powder" is central to BIR cooking and used on this forum in reference only to the BIR style, not to mention this forum thread started as a comparison of various BIR mix powders.

Also, whether your brain can comprehend the admittedly Einstein-level concept of using a curry powder as part of a mix powder or not, the fact is the evidence supports the vast majority of BIRs in the UK do create their mix powder this way, so all you're going to do by sticking with individual spices in your mix is get yourself further away from BIR style, somewhat missing the point of this forum...  8)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2018, 02:22 PM »
Isn't it a bit confusing to be talking about traditional Indian cooking in a topic about BIR mix powders on a BIR forum?
That depends on how easily you are confused.
Yes you can mix together some spices and add it when you cook a traditional curry
As almost every Indian housewife does -- she calls it a masala.
but the concept of  "mix powder" is central to BIR cooking
Central to your understanding of BIR cooking.
and used on this forum in reference only to the BIR style
Perhaps used by you in reference only to the BIR style; not necessarily used by all contributors in the same way.

Also, whether your brain can comprehend the admittedly Einstein-level concept of using a curry powder as part of a mix powder or not, the fact is the evidence supports the vast majority of BIRs in the UK do create their mix powder this way, so all you're going to do by sticking with individual spices in your mix is get yourself further away from BIR style ...
Really ?  Adding X + Y + Z separately is different in any meaningful way to adding X+Y+Z pre-mixed ?  Perhaps you could explain the significant difference to this bear of very little brain.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 01:34 AM »
Hi, Sverige. 
In a laborotory, Einstein would have been beside himself trying to calculate the exact number of Turmeric molecules actually in a Mixed Powder and the exact ratios of it to other spices. In the kitchen probably not.  This is unfortunately what I wasted some time on at the start.  When I first came to this forum the concept of Mixed Powder / Mix Powder / Curry Powder confused me for this very reason.   ???  As I recently posted, I've come to realise that a measure of "Curry Powder" (brand unknown) in a "BIR Mixed Powder" doesn't really matter at all, because it isn't scientific at all.  But will the actual curry powder you use make a difference? Of course it will.  If you look long enough at the videos you'll eventually hear that brand doesn't matter as long as it's a good quality one.  In the UK, Rajah seems to be the default, but I've seen CT use a HOT Madras Curry Powder in one of his videos.  That doesn't matter to me now because I understand it. 

A beginner might not.

There is a Base Gravy video on YouTube (I can't remember which one, either H4ppy or JV or someone else) where he says he adds Mix Powder and then states that it's what the BIR's call Curry Powder.  "Hang on a minute! What did he just say?" To a beginner, the concept of a mixed powder, apparently also known as curry powder, containing Curry Powder, which is a mixed powder, as an ingredient, can be a bit heady.  ???

LC has raised a fair question on the use of Garam Masala in Mixed Powders. It isn't just a matter of if it should be used or not, but also if it is used, which one.  There is no answer because there are no rules or scientific laws.

Which Mixed / Mix / Curry powders do you prefer in Sweden?

littlechilie

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2018, 06:30 AM »
Morning Livo, Phil. I won

©2024 Curry Recipes