Author Topic: List of Mix Powders  (Read 51943 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: List of Mix Powders
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2018, 10:12 PM »
As 'interesting' as this thread is, it may be irrelevant as, as we all know, taste is subjective. One person's perfect blend of spices is another person's Trump.

When I used to make more traditional curries, there was nothing better than dry-roasting spices and grinding them. The aroma and flavour was, and is, so fresh and rewarding. Having reached a stage in my BIR journey where I am happy with my (subjective) results, I am tempted back to more, dare I say, creative methods of producing dishes of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi origin.

Going back to the use of commercial curry powders in BIR spice mixes, I have always avoided 'curry powders' as I have found them to be bland and 'industrial-tasting'. Why would you include, in your spice mix, another mix of spices which you could include yourself? Having said that, I contradict my own argument by using garam masala in both my spice mix and in my base. I fear self-flagellation is the only answer. I think, subjectively, that my own taste prefers the more fragrant flavours of garam masala to the, in my opinion, more bland flavour of commercial curry powders.

A spice mix is a convenient way of making a quantity of ingredients which can be used to make consistently spiced dishes in haste; which is one of the hallmarks of BIR.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2018, 10:52 PM »
It is rare that Garp and I find ourselves in agreement, but with at least two 0f his most recent points I could not agree more :
  • Why would you include, in your spice mix, another mix of spices which you could include yourself?
  • A spice mix is a convenient way of making a quantity of ingredients which can be used to make consistently spiced dishes in haste; which is one of the hallmarks of BIR.
Hear hear, dear boy, hear hear.

littlechilie

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2018, 11:40 PM »
Here is a excellent example of Garam Masala use in a Bir kitchen. https://youtu.be/n2XDHOvKER8 My understanding of garam masalas being a powerful blend not intended for generic use, but to enhance or give a individual characteristic towards the end of cooking. Skip to 2.50 if you don
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:16 AM by littlechilie »

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2018, 09:32 AM »
I also remember chatting to the manager of my local British Indian Restaurant,  living in the IOM at the time. He was quite shocked at the idea of mixing powdered spice. And insisted they buy premixed spice.

Image hosting by CR0.co.uk
Garam Masala is not included in the ingredients listing, neither is mild Madras. Yet another mix powder.

According to the ingredient list the main spice is chilli powder? Or maybe they are all equal quantities, but then they would be listed alphabetically

littlechilie

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2018, 11:38 PM »
Hi Andy, yep the hotter the better sounds good to me. But I do believe they come in differing strengths of heat. So I

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2018, 12:32 AM »
I tried Rajah's mixed masala some time ago, but didn't find it very inspiring.  The majority went in the bin.  I am afraid that with the sole exception of Bassar curry masala, almost all of the pre-mixed spice blends that I have tried (Kitchen King, Patak's mixed masala, Mehran chicken/lamb masala, ...) have proved a major disappointment, which is (yet another) reason why I prefer to add individual spices in the quantities and proportions appropriate to each dish.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 08:23 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

littlechilie

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Morning Phil, yes I believe the method you use is probably unbeatable, also infusing each dish with individual characteristics.

littlechilie

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2018, 10:15 PM »
Finally found H4ppyChris post about Garam Masala.http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=11271.0

My Guess is Haldi was probably correct in his observation with this post.

( perhaps he meant that "Peace of Cassia bark and 3 Bay leaves".are already in his base
And they are Garam Masala ingredients)

This was my experience previously mentioned using CT pressure base, I found the double up of Garam masala a bit much for my own preference. Combined with a mix powder containing additional Garam masala used in the curry stage.
I
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:19 PM by littlechilie »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2018, 11:09 PM »
Difference between boiling or frying Garam masala in bas gravy?

If there is no oil at all in the base, then I think that any flavours that leached out from the garam masala would still be effectively raw.  I also think that in the absence of any oil, far less flavour would leach out from the spices than if oil were present.

** Phil (just enjoying a good 6-Puttonyos Tokaj before bed ...).

Offline stan b

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2019, 03:32 PM »
I made a happy find in my local spice shop.  It is run by the same family that runs the local BIR.  they sell their own mix powder in 300g takaway containers - no need to mix my own when I can use the 'real thing'.  Smells lovely.

©2024 Curry Recipes