Author Topic: List of Mix Powders  (Read 52112 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: List of Mix Powders
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 12:44 PM »
Is Chewy's missing?
It would indeed seem so.
** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 05:34 PM »
"The doc cannot be opened"
Is that not because it is an Excel file (which this system will not allow to be attached) and therefore needs to be downloaded and renamed before an attempt is made to open it ?

** Phil.

Thanks Phil.. Artium arcanorum indeed :)

Offline Charliethestokie

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 04:14 PM »
do I take it that these are level spoons unless heaped is stated thanks

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Probably depends on the author.  For me, a dessertspoonful (for example) would normally be rounded; others may prefer flat.
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 04:24 AM »
5:4:3:2:2:1:1

I've applied the same average of 8 principle as I did recently for Base Gravy, which worked out really well.  For interest sake, the closest individual formula to this averaged and rounded one is ifindforu.  Obviously there is no culinary basis for this so take it as it's intended.  Me with too much time on my hands and my family don't want any curry.

5 X Turmeric
4 X Curry Powder
3 X Coriander
2 X Cumin
2 X Paprika
1 X Chili
1 X Multi (Either Garam Masala, Tandoori Masala or Kitchen King)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 06:53 AM »
Loving your analytical enthusiasm, livo! Reminds me very much of the sort of posts written by the much-missed JerryM.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 07:29 AM »
When I first started on this site JerryM sent me a whole heap of analytical data because he sensed my bent towards the numerical science. It was out of my league. I never really had time to look at the volume of stuff he sent me at the time.  Unfortunately I've had quite a few computer crashes and rebuilds since then and while I probably still have it all backed up somewhere I wouldn't know where to look in a hurry.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 11:45 AM »
...I never really had time to look at the volume of stuff he sent me at the time...

He was certainly prodigious, no question! :)

littlechilie

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 10:21 AM »
Hi all, I have been on a mixed powder mission this month, so far I
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:34 AM by littlechilie »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 11:28 AM »
A very good question. There are many things to consider here LC, and base gravy isn't where I'd normally use GM, but some do, and I have done.
Garam Masala is just another Mixed Powder.
A mixed powder can be anything it needs to be. A simple 4 spice blend of T,C,C and C or 24 spices in a version of Kitchen King. Or anything in between. Abdul's 8 or my derived 5432211. I cook my breakfast scrambled eggs with just Turmeric and Kashmiri Chilli, but I could use MDH Kitchen King. I probably will now just to see what it's like.  :)

My first question would be, which Garam Masala did or do you use? Is it just the bog standard GM?
My second question is, which spice or spices from that GM do you think is, or are, the problem, and for which dish? Cloves would be the stand out for me, or possibly cardamom. Maybe black pepper.

I make my own blends of GM, as well as buying generic, and have 6 very different Garam Masala blends in my kit just at the moment. Even the bought stuff is a mixture of this and that, old and new, now.  Generally I use them as a garnish / enhancer added late in or after cooking, but if I examine a recipe and see that multiple individual spices can easily be replaced by an equivalent portion of one of the GMs, I'll substitute it out simply for ease and efficiency.

As for inclusion in a Base Gravy, horses for courses. For a very neutral base, then probably not.  In a gravy for a full flavouried dish, then certainly possible.  In my analytical study, I can see the common GM spices show up regularly so it can sometimes be used to reach the same ends. I have also started to use different base gravies for different dishes, which probably isn't true BIR, but it minimises the similarity of all dishes on the table at one time.

From day one here on this forum, Mixed Powder formulae, that include another mixed powder (of unspecified type :ie, curry powder) as an ingredient has frustrated the hing out of me.  I've sort of finally come to realise that it doesn't matter too much at all. :o

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:32 PM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes