Author Topic: Balti house Rishton  (Read 19902 times)

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Balti house Rishton
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:49 PM »
I've enjoyed cooking this tonight
Not over spiced cooking at a steady pace I would normally like more gravy but it was a very enjoyable balti ! anyone eat at this restaurant see link below
http://youtu.be/FiXF_TG1_8I

CAB.

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Balti house Rishton
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 10:09 AM »
Thanks for posting, Bob - and for the video from Hussein.  I've never cooked Balti yet and he makes it look so simple! 
Quick question if I may.....what makes the dish a Balti?  There doesn't seem to be anything in there (apart from green pepper) that you wouldn't find in a Bhuna, for example.  Whenever I've come across Balti recipes before, including ones on this forum, there's usually mention of adding a Balti paste at some stage - unless I missed something!!
Even so, it looks gorgeous and deserves a try!
Best Al

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Hi Alarmist 10
Yes Baltis do have a mixed bag of various ingredients , green peppers, Potatoes  etc. I only called it a Balti because it was called that on the video my own version would normally include some pataks balti paste I will be making this again & I may even put some peppers in it myself . Obviously it's served in a Balti dish so perhaps that's another reason he's called it a balti . I recommend half a teaspoon of chilli powder and one green chilli but that's my personal taste .

CAB
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:11 PM by Curry addict bob »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 05:34 PM »
Very impressive video and good narration/presentation technique.  I have just bought some diced lamb shoulder, so will be trying this with lamb.

** Phil.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 06:03 PM »
Good post and interesting video.  No sign of any gravy  ??? And we didn't get to see the garlic and ginger go in the pan before the tomatoes :-\

Quick question if I may.....what makes the dish a Balti?
I fear it may not be a quick answer Alarmist and i'm sure there will be many opinions as to what constitutes a balti.  Never had a  "real" one from within the "triangle" only a  balti vindaloo in leafy Cheam.  I suspect it may simply have had a smidgeon of balti paste  :o

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12276.0.html

This has got to be the best thread on baltis where a few forum members chased the taste over a period of time.  Well worth a read.  Maybe once I've cracked my own puzzle i'll be able to find a little time to play around with baltis, but there is always so much to do and so many dishes to try  ::)

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 06:19 PM »
I've made many of balti type curries and this may look very simple and not as spicy as some, however it did turn out really good . I would slightly increase the onions
and a tad more spice which will enable me to create a little more gravy which is probably needed for my own personal taste
However I would recommend trying the original before tailoring it to a different consistency and taste

CAB.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 07:47 PM »
Interesting video and a very simple take on making a Balti.
I think us chasers may be over complicating things to get a taste similar to our own prefered restaurant / take away, and I would assume a take away would use a simple base gravy for speed.

I'll give this a go very soon to see how it fairs.

Thanks for posting

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Is this the missing ingredient to make your balti perfect a good friend and balti house chef told me he's using this in his baltis and I'm now using it too
It's certainly added a different taste quite zingy I put in 1/4 tsp only per cook!

Geezah yes I agree with you some of us could be over complicating our curries
Back to basics my be the answer

CAB.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 08:55 PM »
Noooo. Sulphur dioxide rotten eggs ;D

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 09:02 PM »
I'm very supprised that there are no whole cardamon pods being used as most balti's I have had you will find one somewhere in the dish.  (I'm in the midlands and have used the Birmingham triangle considerably)

©2024 Curry Recipes