Author Topic: Donner in a tin  (Read 18567 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Donner in a tin
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 07:30 PM »
That looks really authentic Rich, excellent idea mate. How close is it in taste to the real thing would you say?

Coincidentally I was in Farmfoods last week and noticed they do a bag of frozen donner meat slices and thought I must try that soon. Has anyone tried it?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 07:39 PM »
was put off kebab when i saw both the ingrediant list attached to the frozen hunk of "meat?" and how many times the kebab was re heated and chilled in a week.

I always wondered, in fact still do, how they manage to slip that past the Health and Safety Nazis. How are they allowed to constantly heat and reheat raw meat and also leave it sitting overnight at the mercy of the local rat and fly population? It's basically the book definition of what you shouldn't do with raw meat.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 07:55 PM »
I always wondered, in fact still do, how they manage to slip that past the Health and Safety Nazis. How are they allowed to constantly heat and reheat raw meat and also leave it sitting overnight at the mercy of the local rat and fly population? It's basically the book definition of what you shouldn't do with raw meat.
Quote from: https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/business-and-trade/food-safety/safe-preparation-and-cooking-doner-kebabs
any sliced meat or meat left on the doner kebab when you close must be thrown away. This meat should not be cooked or reheated again. To avoid waste the doner kebabs should be kept as small as possible

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 10:55 PM »
SS as far as taste mate - its OK taste wise - not sure what the real deal taste is back in Blighty been that long mate to be honest - I put in the post if anyone had any other spice recipe - but no one has come forward with one..
As it happens i making this again today for tonights salad - with the hot sauce and yogurt mint - salad - etc its great

The thing is with this - this is cooked through after you take it out of the can - so this aint raw meat -

It does make a decent amount to be honest - haven't frozen any yet but - had it on and off for a week - i like it

best, Rich

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 11:06 AM »
The thing is with this - this is cooked through after you take it out of the can - so this aint raw meat -

Yes I get that rich. I was talking about the way it's kept in thge Kebab places here in the UK. And thinking about it I'm not even sure it is raw as the colour and texture is all wrong for that so it must be cooked before it's delivered to the shop(I think).

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 11:24 AM »
SS as far as taste mate - its OK taste wise - not sure what the real deal taste is back in Blighty been that long mate to be honest - I put in the post if anyone had any other spice recipe - but no one has come forward with one..
As it happens i making this again today for tonights salad - with the hot sauce and yogurt mint - salad - etc its great

It does make a decent amount to be honest - haven't frozen any yet but - had it on and off for a week - i like it

best, Rich

Look up my diy shawarma post on here if you want an alternative 'spice' recipe.  Shawarmas (lamb) taste comes alive from the tahine sauce made from the unhusked version of tahine.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,13466.0.html

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 12:41 PM »
Look up my diy shawarma post on here if you want an alternative 'spice' recipe.  Shawarmas (lamb) taste comes alive from the tahine sauce made from the unhusked version of tahine.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,13466.0.html

But the tahine is a sauce to put on the meat isn't it rather than a spicing to go in the meat? Or am I misunderstanding?

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 12:53 PM »
SS i knew you got it mate - i was making sure that folks were aware that this is fully cooked .

Made again today and will make some more tomorrow - made up too much mix for the size of the cans i use.

I use the QBB Ghee cans that we have here - excellent to use because they have their own plastic lid - so when you put it in the fridge to keep for a couple of days the lid id on...

best, Rich

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 04:34 PM »
tahine sauce goes over the salad / meat mixture as a dressing - not 'in' the meat.

Here is ano spice blend from a Bahraini used in Shawarmas

Ground spices
1 1/2 tsp ground loomi ( dried black lime )
1/2 tsp zafran / saffron
1 1/2 tsp dhania / coriander powder
1 1/2 tsp jeera / cumin powder
1 tsp ground kala miri/ black pepper
1 tbsp lal mirchi / red chillies ground. I used sankeshwar chillies but you can use whatever you like.
1 1/2 tsp dalchini /cinnamon powder
1 tsp powdered lavang / cloves
1 tsp powdered elaichi / green cardamom
1 tsp jaiphal/ powdered nutmeg
I ground each ingredient seperately in the coffee grinder so that they were all about the same size and then mixed the lot together.

Offline scalexkid

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 02:46 PM »
I made this, (no garlic or onion powder to hand though), maybe I did not compress it enough though, maybe some scales weights over night in the can to help?

Not as I remember Donner/doner/donor tasting from any kebab shop though. My son who helped with the final flame grilling says it was the best he has had. Though I would not fancy it at 0200 on a sunday morning (any more)

©2024 Curry Recipes