Author Topic: Donner in a tin  (Read 18939 times)

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Donner in a tin
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 08:12 AM »
I like the look of this, but is it really lamb mince in most doner kebabs?  Or more likely mutton I suppose.

Reason I ask is my local takeaway has a sign up saying our doner kebabs are made with 100% beef mince, and they taste just like any other kebab I've had. So either they are full of BS (likely) or there is a mix of lamb and beef doner recipes about, which is a surprise.

Despite the generous seasoning, I imagine the meat flavour is still the predominant one in doner, so can there really be variation in the meat the shops are using, or do they in fact use a blend of mutton, beef, dog, etc..?

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 10:08 AM »
I like the look of this, but is it really lamb mince in most doner kebabs?  Or more likely mutton I suppose.

Reason I ask is my local takeaway has a sign up saying our doner kebabs are made with 100% beef mince, and they taste just like any other kebab I've had. So either they are full of BS (likely) or there is a mix of lamb and beef doner recipes about, which is a surprise.

Despite the generous seasoning, I imagine the meat flavour is still the predominant one in doner, so can there really be variation in the meat the shops are using, or do they in fact use a blend of mutton, beef, dog, etc..?

It's definitely the case , and in Scotland ,the figure quoted in some kind of mystery shopper investigation was that 1 in 3 places were guilty of it. As for dog, I've read in some countries the only thing with four legs they don't eat is the table, but only cheap Chuck beef was found in this case , which can be almost half the price of lamb. I remember the investigating 'body' refused to name the offenders. Could probably find out by a freedom of information request but life's too short

Even worse, I've seen kebab and 'curry meat' being delivered in non refrigerated vans, frequently in one of the worst areas of Glasgow :-\

Regards
ELW
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:21 AM by ELW »

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 06:05 PM »
It's definitely the case that takeaways use beef mince instead of lamb? Or that donners are definitely made with mutton instead of lamb?

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 09:05 PM »
It's definitely the case that takeaways use beef mince instead of lamb? Or that donners are definitely made with mutton instead of lamb?

I reckon only the suppliers know what those donner rolls contain, chicken definitely, although maybe not so much in the chicken donner.
I  think 'Which' ran a test and found pork in donner meat labelled halal.
 I wouldn't touch the standard Glasgow kebab meat with a twenty foot pole, so I'd welcome good homemade lamb donner recipes.
Beef instead of mutton instead of lamb in curries  is rife here, I'd find it difficult to tell in a curry tastewise, although I think the texture is different

ELW

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 09:12 PM »
I made Doner last night for an easy family meal but I didn't use the tin method.  I have used the method in the past but this time I just did a lamb mince based meatloaf in the oven.  I actually bought 4 Lamb, Garlic and Rosemary burger patties (640 g in total) and spiced them up a bit more and formed the loaf.  Too easy and it turned out pretty good. You wouldn't know the difference.  I used this Authentic Turkish Doner recipe.         ( ???  it uses Italian herbs) http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23670/authentic-turkish-doner-kebab.aspx

Italian Seasoning https://web.archive.org/web/20140706202533/http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-italian-seasoning
Italian Herbs https://web.archive.org/web/20140708152436/http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-italian-herbs

I used the Italian Herbs but left the Rosemary out as it was already in the patties. I don't have Savory.

As some prefer chicken I also did these. https://www.recipetineats.com/homemade-chicken-doner-kebab/. I was sceptical about the finished cooked chicken skewers turning out like the photos on the recipe site but I can tell you that they turned exactly as pictured by the author. There is none left with the remaining skerricks going onto my son's lunch today.  Having just done Tikka, there isn't really a lot of difference.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:34 PM by livo »

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 04:09 PM »
Well I gave this a go. Technique definitely has potential but the flavour wasn't what I was looking for, not close to a kebab shop and generally too "herby" so I will adjust that down next time. I did sub minced beef for lamb though, but according to the signs in my local shop the kebabs around here are made with beef (or more likely horse...).

I used an electric pressure cooker to pressure steam it for an hour, then cooled it in fridge before slicing as it was definitely too crumbly when freshly cooked.

Some photos to keep Elsie happy....

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Well I gave this a go. Technique definitely has potential but the flavour wasn't what I was looking for, not close to a kebab shop and generally too "herby" so I will adjust that down next time. I did sub minced beef for lamb though, but according to the signs in my local shop the kebabs around here are made with beef (or more likely horse...).

Which one did you give a go Sv?  I'd love a good doner recipe. For me I like to do them on the BBQ or failing that i just put in the oven.. Kebab-y type things are on this years hit list to do.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 12:15 PM »
Don't forget the shawarma style - much better than any doner kebab imho - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,13466.0.html - it's the tahini sauce that really makes the lamb shawarma zing with that extra taste - use unhusked tahini paste.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 06:02 PM »

Which one did you give a go Sv?  I'd love a good doner recipe. For me I like to do them on the BBQ or failing that i just put in the oven.. Kebab-y type things are on this years hit list to do.

I followed the recipe in the OP, but I used dried mixed herbs instead of dried oregano. Maybe that's why it came out too herby. Today I made kebab pizza with the kebab meat. Will put a pic of that into my pizza thread.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Don't forget the shawarma style - much better than any doner kebab imho - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,13466.0.html - it's the tahini sauce that really makes the lamb shawarma zing with that extra taste - use unhusked tahini paste.
Thanks gholie, I will certainly check it out  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes