Author Topic: Has anyone tried using Sriracha hot chilli sauce in their BIR curry?  (Read 6525 times)

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
I stayed overnight in Ellesmere Port last Wednesday so had to try the best Indian Restaurant I was recommended. I went to 'Holdi' in Little Sutton. Amongst many other dishes, I had the best Lamb Curry I've had in years!!  It wasn't on the menu so had no name because I asked for the best of the best the Chef can cook.  Ol boy!  Superb.....   I got pissed and bothered them so much they finally told me what sauce they'd used to create that flavour.   The answer was 'Sriracha Hot Chilli Sauce'.   Has anyone else cooked with this sauce??  What result did you get??

Offline ligs

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Ive used sriracha in bir , I used to get a curry called Nepalese from a TA near me , also in the northwest, I could see the chef cooking it and i asked what the sauce was , he told me sriracha,he also told me to get it from the chinese shops as it is from thailand. I tried to replicate the Nepalese curry by making a jalfrezi and adding sriracha and lemon juice very nice indeed . I also have it on chicken tikka nan with yogurt.

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Thanks Ligs, very good to know.    :).    Did you happen to notice at what stage of the cooking he added the Sriracha?? 

Offline ligs

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Ye it was quite late on after the last ladle of base. I notice that dominoes are using it now aswell.

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
So how much would you add to a curry? A teaspoon? More?

Offline ligs

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
The chef didnt measure it out he just put it in out of the bottle, which I do, I would say about 2 TBSP per portion.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Use it for my Sriracha honey chicken wings posted on here. 

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,13467.msg113935.html#msg113935

Also made my own version when I had none.

** the exact recipe I used to make my own instant 1/4 cup Sriracha version for use in the main recipe as below :-
15x home grown 1" dried chillies (super chillies 50k scoville rating) - you will have to determine what quantity to use for 'other size /type chillies' if you are making your own version.
1 garlic clove
1/6 th teaspoon salt
Splash of vinegar
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon water
Place all the ingredients in the Revel blender and mix until a smooth paste.
Use this as the Sriracha ingredient in the melt butter bit etc. bit in the recipe for the Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings recipe below.
It was used within 2 hours of making it all up.
After putting the BBQ'd chicken bits with the butter etc. / Sriracha blend and basting, the chicken bits were put back on the BBQ to finish off a bit more and 'dry' up the sauce on a bit more on the chicken bits.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
My recipe for  Sriracha if I run short is simple,

Tomato ketchup, tabasco and some garlic,
works for me,  ;D But as of yet, not tried it in a curry.

Les

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Made a Sriracha Barbecue sauce yesterday recipe here

http://hapanom.com/sriracha-barbecue-sauce/

also included on the Huy Fong website here

http://www.huyfong.com/projects/sriracha-barbecue-sauce/

I have to say it is a treat, and the Rooster sauce gives it a nice kick. Going to try it with some chicken and egg-fried rice tonight.......lubbly jubbly.

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
They have Sriracha chilli sauce in Aldi now, a 455ml bottle ?1.99

©2024 Curry Recipes