• August 25, 2019, 01:46 PM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: Chana dal cooked with lamb (with thanks to Madhur Jaffrey)  (Read 531 times)

Offline tempest63

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
This from the 1973 edition of Madhur Jaffrey's An invitation to Indian cooking and it is still one of my favourite dishes from the MJ repertoire. For health reasons I cook it with 5 or 6 tablespoons of ghee in place of the oil. I think this gives it a better flavour. Instead of fannying around with ground mace, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, you could replace with a teaspoon of good Garam masala. I grind most of my spices fresh which I believe gives a better end result. I only ever add about two-thirds of the water as I like a thicker sauce. If it is too dry I will stir in the remainder as I need it. I also reduce the salt, using about a teaspoon for this recipe and will taste and add later if necessary.

Chana dal Cooked with Lamb

1.25k boned lamb shoulder
1 medium onion chopped
4 medium onion halved and sliced into half-rings
5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1inch cube of ginger, peeled and chopped
10 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon tomato purée
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoon salt (or as desired)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
120g Chana dal, cleaned and washed
2 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh green coriander

Pat the meat pieces dry with a paper towel. Set aside
Put the one chopped onion, garlic and ginger into an electric blender. Add 4 tablespoons of water and blend at high speed until you have a smooth paste.
Heat the oil in 10 inch heavy bottomed casserole-type pot, over a medium high-flame. Put in the four sliced onions and fry them, stirring, for 15 to 20 minutes until they are dark brown and crisp. Remove them with a slotted spoon and spread on a paper towel.
Drop seven or eight pieces of meat at a time in the onion flavoured oil and brown them well on all sides over a high flame. Remove each batch as it gets done. When all the meat is browned turn off the heat under the pot.
When the remaining oil has cooled a bit, pour in the paste from the electric blender. Stir it well, mixing it with the juices in the pot. Turn up the heat and fry the paste, stirring all the time for 8 to 10 minutes or until it is browned. Now lower the heat and add, at intervals, frying and stirring, the coriander, cumin, and turmeric; after a minute or two, the tomato puree and after another minute, the mace,  nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves.
Finally, after five minutes, add half a pint of water, salt, black pepper, cayenne, the browned meat, and the cleaned and washed Chana dal. Bring to the boil. Cover, lower heat, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring gently every 10 minutes or so until the lamb is soft. Take care not to break up the grains of dal.
When done, add the lemon juice and stir gently.
To serve, place in a warm bowl. Sprinkle the brown onions and chopped green coriander over the Dal and meat and serve with plain rice or chapatis. Serve with a green vegetable and at least one relish.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chana dal cooked with lamb (with thanks to Madhur Jaffrey)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 02:56 PM »
Hey tempest

Do you think this could be made bir ??

with 2 tbsp of curry powder / mixed powder
1 tbsp garam masala (heaped)
Lamb re cooked

fry off the garlic and ginger in oil add the tom puree
add powdered curry powder / garam masala
1 ladle of base
1 tsp chilli powder - or minced green chillies
lemon juice or 1 heaped amchoo powder - or 1 tbsp tamarind
add water
add channa daal
add pre cooked lamb
cook until done

stir in chopped coriander

or something like this

best, Rich

Founder / Worked at Curry-Nights taking bir ready meals to 247 supermarket stores Internationally and Nationwide.

Offline tempest63

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chana dal cooked with lamb (with thanks to Madhur Jaffrey)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:01 AM »
I must admit that I gave up trying to replicate BIR many years ago; I'm recalling Kris Dillon and Pat Chapman in sepia toned memories. I think if it could be converted it would be one of the clever guys here. I believe it could be translated given how easy you make it sound.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:34 AM by tempest63 »

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: