Author Topic: Has anyone got a recipe for Afgani?  (Read 4247 times)

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
Has anyone got a recipe for Afgani?
« on: October 23, 2016, 04:36 PM »
Again, a 'local' dish at Lowton Tandoori known as 'Afgani', and was wondering if anyone had the recipe or could point me in the right direction please.

it is described as Lowtons special curry; chicken or lamb (slightly hot) - consisting of onions, green peppers, garlic, chilli sauce, tobacco and soy sauce. The combination of spices and sauces give this dish a tantalising taste.

Just to note...the takeaway describes korma as containing fresh nuts and sultanas but I have had this countless times and never had them in - so if you have any that sound fairly similar I'm willing to give them a go!

Thank you.

Jenny

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone got a recipe for Afgani?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 08:58 PM »
which brand, Lambert & Butler?  :o

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:55 PM »
I prefer Kensitas Club, or, for a treat, Amber Leaf. Sometimes even sprinkle some on top as a garnish as I don't like uncooked coriander leaf.

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 04:33 PM »
Hahaha!! Tabasco!!! I have been sat here for about ten minutes wondering what on earth you guys were on about!

Jenny

which brand, Lambert & Butler?  :o

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 03:56 PM »
Again, a 'local' dish at Lowton Tandoori known as 'Afgani', and was wondering if anyone had the recipe or could point me in the right direction please.

it is described as Lowtons special curry; chicken or lamb (slightly hot) - consisting of onions, green peppers, garlic, chilli sauce, tobacco and soy sauce. The combination of spices and sauces give this dish a tantalising taste.

Just to note...the takeaway describes korma as containing fresh nuts and sultanas but I have had this countless times and never had them in - so if you have any that sound fairly similar I'm willing to give them a go!

Thank you.

Jenny

There's this Chicken Afghani, which, while it doesn't include soy, it does include, er, coal   :clown2:

Very difficult tracking one down that uses soy!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 08:39 PM »
Similar to Yemeni style Chicken Mandi.
Maybe the tobacco is a different process for the smoky flavour.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 05:18 AM »
I'm halfway through cooking this Garp.  As soon as I watched it I knew it was dinner tonight. Thanks for the link.

I very much enjoyed the Yemini Mandi (Archana's Kitchen) but this recipe is so easy and I needed a dish to use my Char Magaz.  Brilliant.

I cut a whole big chook up into 12 pieces and it is marinating as I sit here.  I like Cumin Chicken so I think I'll add a little to the marinade stage.

I won't be using an unlit Barbeque Brickette.  I have proper hardwood charcoal and it only takes a little bit.  The recipe  / video doesn't give a time but I'd imagine 5 to 10 minutes will do the job.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:31 AM by livo »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 04:14 PM »
Let us know if it's any good mate.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 08:59 PM »
It was very nice. I made a few changes out of necessity but nothing too drastic. I used some yogurt instead of milk powder and I added 1 tsp of Cumin.  The smoking process gives a nice finish.

©2024 Curry Recipes