Author Topic: MBC's Retro Madras  (Read 17092 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: MBC's Retro Madras
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 09:08 AM »
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 03:30 PM by Unclefrank »

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 10:27 AM »
Interesting, I seem to remember CA's mix powder used garlic powder and ground fenugrek. I'll have to give this a go. There are as many 'Madrases' a there are fish in the sea.

littlechilie

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 10:51 AM »
Thanks for the welcome but i have been a member on here for over 8 years, got a bit fed up with the all the bickering and what not and so called know-it-answers, not sure how you can tell how a dish is going to taste without even trying the said dish, the use of garlic and onion powder gives a different texture and flavour to the dish, you should know this if you can tell what a dish is going to taste like without even making the dish.
Please try the dish first before you comment,
Nothing changes on this site.

Well tried this again last night after making the Madras in the morning and left until around 7 o'clock and what a difference the flavour in this dish is tremendous, going to make this for a few customers for a free-bee and see what they think of it.

Hi, I read through all the comments and post again to see if my opinion differed but I'm afraid it didn't, UF my welcome and comment about the recipe was to the (OR) poster. Lots of things have changed on this forum for the better of late,  but we all still have opinions here unlike the place you have been using.
For me a Madras is a Madras, we have lots of first hand accounts of there prep and Origin, why add things that no longer make it a Madras sauce?
Sorry if my opinion upsets you but it's my opinion, I'm not disputing your claim it tasted good but you can't sell a curry and advise customers to let it sit for a few hours.
Thanks LC.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 03:22 PM »

Offline MonsieurBadgerCheese

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 01:20 AM »
Good Evening Gents,

In order to try to answer a few questions - but firstly, Uncle Frank - I am flattered - thanks for your feedback. I know that you are a very experienced BIR chef, and I have followed your posts for a long time, and enjoyed your recipes.

Litlechille,

I see your point. It is over-spiced for a Madras. Perhaps the concept was lost as the recipe was part of an on-going thread about 1970s/1980s 'retro-dishes'. I love heavy-use of G/G paste, but the use of (especially) onion, and also garlic powder is to simulate the 'dirty' taste that I believe comes from the use of 'used' oil (Bhajee oil) in the old T/A's of yesteryear.

I believe that Methi Powder is THE taste of BIR (and the smell of the curtains and carpet), so make no apologies for that.

Pete,

Exactly!

loveitspicy,

India was great, thanks, but that's for a whole new thread!!

fried:

Give it a go. It's not for everybody, but I'd welcome your feedback. As UF has confirmed, let it sit before you eat it. I prefer it the next day.

Onions

Yep! Let it rest.

MBC.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 08:13 AM by MonsieurBadgerCheese »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 11:52 AM »
I believe that Methi Powder is THE taste of BIR (and the smell of the curtains and carpet), so make no apologies for that.

By "Methi Powder" do you mean ground dried methi leaf or ground methi seed? If methi seed I'm baffled that you think it makes any difference whatsoever as I cannot discern any difference in a curry with some and without in my tests.

Methi leaf on the other hand is definitely a component of true BIR, although that is probably a regional thing as well.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 10:25 PM »
I thought tonight I'd join the club! I'm going to have to disagree with SS though but only slightly... I initially got a missing flavour from the fenugreek seed which I got quite excited about but then the overpowering garlic and onion powders took over and it was lost never to return... I think I'd like to try it in my own madras recipe and investigate it further. At the right level it could well become a staple ingredient in a mix powder.

I recall ground fenugreek seed in the Undercover Curry base so Dave Loynden obviously witnessed it being used in the BIR kitchen.

MM

Offline MonsieurBadgerCheese

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 11:04 PM »
Evening,

Secret Santa;

Agreed about Methi Leaf, but in this case I was referring to ground Methi seed.

Mushroom Mike;

Interesting feedback, thanks. Maybe I overdid the onion and garlic then. Will keep adjusting. When I started experimenting with onion powder, I thought I was onto something. Was tasting the 'onion-bhajee oil' flavour (and having the BIR burps for a good while after). Maybe the garlic powder was a step too far!? Sticking with my theory about Methi powder though.

MBC

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 12:03 AM »
MBC

I've used garlic powder in mix powder (kushi spice) before and certainly does no harm in small quantities. But hey if your recipe works for your particular taste then why change it!

I'm definitely going to put 1/2 a tsp of ground methi in my next curry though. I think it's well worth investigating.

MM

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 02:22 AM »
Hi MBC
Not knocking your personal Quest, as its quite humorous
Gave me the vision of you smelling the curtains and carpet of a BIR in whatever bygone decade. ;D ;D
One waiter to another - Oh! thats the guy who smells the curtains - matadoss ;D

Its probably true of most expats, who long for a British Indian Curry
and romance about the golden age of the 70s / 80s curries.
(CA and a few others spring to mind) nostalgic nonsense and a fruitless pursuit of something unattainable.

Nothing retro about your dish as its not based in reality
Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, All Purpose Seasoning, all a bit of a nonsense.
NOT USED in a BIR Madras or anything else and never were, even in the 70s

I can remember fresh Coriander used as far back as the 70s
A pinch of Coriander and or Methi Leaf in a Madras still is and was dependant on the Chef.

That Old Bhaji/Chip oil notion.(Chestnut)
Never did see any BIR kitchen reusing Bhaji/Chip oil to start off a curry in the 70s,
mainly because your 70s curries were made with vegetable ghee.

You might not be used to writing recipes,
but you seem to be confusing yourself with Methi powder in your recipe and Kasoori Methi in your method

Fenugreek (methi) Powder is a secondary spice in BIR and rarely has a use.

Anyhoo, thanks for posting. ;) :D
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes