Author Topic: New ways with vegetables  (Read 1448 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
New ways with vegetables
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:17 AM »
With fussy grandchildren round for dinner we are always looking for new ways to present and prepare vegetables in order that they don't get bored. Mrs T63 and I were served this new (to us) way of presenting cauliflower at Gaucho. I trawled the Internet and found this recipe which is close to what we had. Only change I made was to simmer the butter with 2 cloves of garlic sliced lengthway in half to perk it up.
I snaffled the photo off the web.

Ingredients list for the whole roasted cauliflower

1 head of cauliflower
Fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1 litre vegetable or chicken stock, more or less, depending on the size of the cauliflower and pot you put it in
70g melted butter
Fresh cracked pepper
Method

1. Pre heat oven to 200

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New ways with vegetables
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Roasted broccoli
450g of calabrese broccoli (about 2 heads)
Good glug of oil
Zest and juice of a whole lemon
1 heaped teaspoon chilli flakes
Salt and black pepper

Method
Heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/Gas 8. Separate the broccoli into manageable, bite-sized florets, ensuring each floret has a piece of stem attached that is not too thick. Over thick stems should be cut in half lengthways. If there are sizeable stalks left trim these of the fibrous outer green matter down to the soft white inner and slice into 5mm rounds.

In a bowl, or plastic food bag pour in a good glug of oil, the lemon zest, chilli flakes and salt and pepper. Mix in the broccoli and turn until well coated. Place the broccoli onto a shallow oven tray then put it in the oven to roast for 15-20 minutes or until the broccoli is done and slightly charred in places. Finish with the lemon juice and more salt then serve.

The basic broccoli and oil is a blank canvas for ingredients other than that above, two crushed cloves of garlic, finely chopped anchovies, Parmesan cheese, panko breadcrumbs etc. Can be used in place of the chilli and lemon.

In place of calabrese use tender stem or purple sprouting broccoli, though I tend to find purple sprouting a bit too fibrous for me.

The picture is from google images

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:23 PM »
My wife goes for tandoori broccoli in the Tiffin Rooms

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile