Author Topic: Goa  (Read 1104 times)

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Goa
« on: March 08, 2017, 03:21 AM »
I am just on my last three weeks of a holiday lasting three months in the wonderful area of Goa and what a culinary pleasure it has been. My I have eaten in lots of local restaurants and have been lucky enough to have been invited to friend's houses where they insist on sharing their wonderful food with you. I have learned how to make traditional sorpatel including the use of pigs liver, heart and pork belly whereas they add all the fat too making the dish very tasty but I would certainly leave some things out.  I've also been in the shack to watch them cook the delicious tarka dhal with added red Kashmiri peppers and watched as my landlady prepares her fish thalli in her little restaurant, and am woken up daily by the sound of her electric grinder grinding the spices and coconut for  her food. The thalli consists of oa piece of thin kingfish coated in semolina lightly fried, a mound of lovely fluffy rice, a little bowl of spicy curry with a small piece of mackerel in, a little pile of  cabbage and coconut, another pile of chopped salad and some pickle all on a stainless steel tray, all for 80  rupees (?1) Last night I ate a fish vindaloo, the first time I have ordered this and was pleasantly surprised just how tasty it was, a lovely rich taste, nothing like the mind blowing hot version devoid of any other taste than chilli we get at home. If you get the chance to come here and you love curry I'd definitely recommend it.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Goa
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 04:55 PM »
Going to Delhi, Jaipur, Shimla etc end of year - rail trip wifes birthday treat - drop into Dubai on way back..  I was last in India 40 years ago - Mumbai (Bombay then).

©2024 Curry Recipes