Author Topic: Anchovies  (Read 1390 times)

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Anchovies
« on: July 22, 2017, 05:59 AM »
My kids think I'm weird for using anchovies in most of my non-curry cooking to add a deep flavour. I melt the anchovies in the cold oil as it warms up before browning onions or the mirepoix. I'm sure that I got this idea from an Italian cook book years ago.

My favourite Ragu is the Giorgio Locatelli version from his "Made in Italy" cookbook. I always add anchovies, powdered porcini and beef stock or bone broth to embellish the original recipe. The resultant flavour is banging.

T63

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Anchovies
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 02:27 PM »
My favourite sandwich is boiled-egg-and-anchovy.  And I still add salt to the eggs !
** Phil.

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 06:23 PM »
My favourite sandwich is boiled-egg-and-anchovy.  And I still add salt to the eggs !
** Phil.

Egg mayo and anchovy

Ciabatta with mozzarella and anchovy

Heaven!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Anchovy, olive oil and garlic pasta ... simply delicious! It was Italian cooking that got me on to anchovies in the first place, in bolognese I think.

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 07:30 PM »
Anchovy, olive oil and garlic pasta ... simply delicious! It was Italian cooking that got me on to anchovies in the first place, in bolognese I think.

Similarly first time I ever encountered an anchovy was on a four seasons pizza when I was working in Portsmouth about 1980; first time I came face to face with a caper too!

So young and innocent and the world was full of new flavours.

Had to give up the Gentlemans relish though, too much salt, too big an addiction.

T63

©2024 Curry Recipes