Author Topic: For those who sieve their base  (Read 4092 times)

Offline stevepaul

• Chef
    • View Profile
For those who sieve their base
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:20 PM »

Been making base mixes for quite some time and usually sieve them to get that really smooth consistency . As some of you will know this can be time consuming.

However, today after making a batch of CT's base and after giving it an initial blend, I then gave it another using a Nutra Bullet which hadn't seen any health food since a couple of weeks after I bought it. Anyway, the end result was every bit as smooth as pushing it through a sieve and took no time tat all.

So, if any of you have one of these blenders languishing away in a cupboard, then give it a whirl the next time you cook up a base mix. If you like your base really smooth this will do the trick.

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: For those who sieve their base
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 08:43 PM »
Great idea for those who want a smooth base...Personally I prefer my base to have a bit of texture...I use a food processor but nowhere as good as nutrabullet but still a great idea

BB1

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 08:44 PM »
No chance of my owning one of those -- it is for people who want to eat healthy food :)  Joking aside, the Nutribullet (of which I was indeed previously unaware) looks as if it comes with an assortment of cutters, bases, tops, etc.  Which combination did you use ?

[Co-incidence] Lidl have just launched their own-brand version.

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:32 PM »
Like Boaby, I like a wee bit texture in most curries, so just use the old hand blender,

I can see how it would be useful, though, in certain dishes - eg Korma, CTM, Pathia, even Butter Chicken - to give that really smooth, silky sauce that you sometimes get from TAs.

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:43 PM »
600 watt, Lidl silvercrest stick blender, Saves having to refill blenders. Then sieved straight into containers if required

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 08:08 AM »
I will be on this one. I have to try to get the beaks and feathers out.  Pic 1

But a proper question. At what stage in cooking, with chicken carcases, should the sieving be done?  I didn't put any bones into the blender although there could have been a couple that slipped through.  Either that or there was a metal screw came loose somehow.

Pic 2 is 3 litres of sieved base.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:21 AM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Rhode Island Red and White Leghorn. I hope they make good curry.

©2024 Curry Recipes