Author Topic: Old Delhi Style Butter Chicken by Vivek Singh  (Read 4255 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Old Delhi Style Butter Chicken by Vivek Singh
« on: August 21, 2017, 05:24 AM »
I made this for yesterday's curry fest with the family and it went down really well.
Original recipe on Vivek Singhs website http://www.viveksingh.co.uk/march-old-delhi-style-butter-chicken/

I made it with boned thighs as the kids prefer it that way, if I was making it for me and the wife it would be whole thighs skinned.

2x 750g free-range young chicken (poussin), skinned and each cut in half along the backbone (alternatively use 800g boned chicken thighs cut into two)

For the marinade
120g Greek yoghurt
2 tablespoons Ginger & Garlic paste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Offline bobsbeer

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Old Delhi Style Butter Chicken by Vivek Singh
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 11:03 AM »
Just noticed that this recipe does not include onions.  Is this right?  I always thought onions were mandatory in Indian cooking.  ;D 

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 02:31 PM »
No, some Brahmins and Jains eschew both onions and garlic and use asafoetida instead.  Whether the omission in this particular recipe is intentional is moot,

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 04:14 AM »
Butter chicken is a tomato based curry.

Offline bobsbeer

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 07:36 PM »
Made this tonight.  Really really nice.  OH who is a curry wimp said it really nice but just on the edge, so that is praise indeed.  It does have a bite and a degree of heat, which my oh isn't used to when ordering from our fav BIR.  I think I made the sauce too thin, but the rice soaked it up okay.  Maybe 150ml instead of 200ml of water next time.  As there is only two of us I letting the remainder reduce before freezing.  We made it with chicken breast chopped into chunks and then marinated overnight.  This brought out the lemon, which gave it a refreshing zing.  We accompanied this with onion bhajis and veg samosas as that's what we had in the freezer.  maybe next time a nice flaky paratha would work to help soak up the liquid..

Thanks for the recommendation.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 09:31 PM »
Made this tonight.  Really really nice.  OH who is a curry wimp said it really nice but just on the edge, so that is praise indeed.

This is our go to butter chicken recipe now and replaces a couple of different recipes used in the past.
Pat Chapman had a good CTM sauce in his Bangladeshi Restaurant Cookbook which I used but with a Julie Sahni chicken tikka. That combination lasted for years at family gatherings.

Personally I find Vivek Singhs recipes very accessible and haven

©2024 Curry Recipes