• September 16, 2019, 04:14 PM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: Old Delhi Style Butter Chicken by Vivek Singh  (Read 1264 times)

Offline tempest63

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Old Delhi Style Butter Chicken by Vivek Singh
« on: August 21, 2017, 05:24 AM »
I made this for yesterday's curry fest with the family and it went down really well.
Original recipe on Vivek Singhs website http://www.viveksingh.co.uk/march-old-delhi-style-butter-chicken/

I made it with boned thighs as the kids prefer it that way, if I was making it for me and the wife it would be whole thighs skinned.

2x 750g free-range young chicken (poussin), skinned and each cut in half along the backbone (alternatively use 800g boned chicken thighs cut into two)

For the marinade
120g Greek yoghurt
2 tablespoons Ginger & Garlic paste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 ½ teaspoons salt
Juice of 1 lemon
3 teaspoons red chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garam masala

For the sauce
1kg tomatoes
125 ml water
5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled, half crushed and half finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled
4 green cardamom pods
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon red chilli powder
80g butter, diced
2 green chillies, slit lengthways
75ml single cream
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves, crushed between your fingertips
½ teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon sugar

Method

First, prepare the chicken.  Make small cuts all over the chicken pieces with a sharp knife to help the marinade penetrate.

To prepare the marinade – mix together the yoghurt with all the other ingredients for the marinade in a deep bowl.  Smear the cut chicken with the marinade, cover and set aside in the fridge for 10 minutes.

Cook the chicken in an oven preheated to 220C/Gas Mark 7 for 13-15 minutes. You may need to turn the pieces after 8-10 minutes or so to ensure they colour evenly on both sides. Cut the cooked chicken into smaller pieces as per your preference.  The chicken should not be completely cooked at this point as it will be simmered for a few more minutes in the sauce. Strain off the juices through a fine sieve and set aside.

For the sauce, slice the tomatoes in half and place in a pan with the water, crushed ginger, garlic, cardamom, cloves and bay leaf and simmer until the tomatoes have completely disintegrated. Now blend this tomato broth with a hand-held blender and pass it through a sieve to obtain a smooth puree. Return to a clean pan, add the chilli powder and simmer for 12-15 minutes. It should slowly begin to thicken. When the sauce turns glossy, add the chicken pieces and the reserved roasting juices. Then add a cup of water and simmer for about 3-5 minutes until the water is absorbed and the sauce returns to its original glossy consistency.

Slowly whisk in the butter, a couple of pieces at a time, and simmer for 6-8 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is beginning to acquire a glaze. Add the chopped ginger, green chillies and cream and simmer for a minute or two longer, taking care that the sauce does not split. Stir in the salt, crushed fenugreek leaves and garam masala, then check the seasoning and add the sugar. Serve with naan bread or pilau rice.

Offline bobsbeer

• Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Old Delhi Style Butter Chicken by Vivek Singh
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 11:03 AM »
Just noticed that this recipe does not include onions.  Is this right?  I always thought onions were mandatory in Indian cooking.  ;D 
Bob
Everybody has to believe in something..........I believe I'll have another drink!!!!!!!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • Caution: some posts may annoy the anally retentive
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hoi-An Restaurant
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 02:31 PM »
No, some Brahmins and Jains eschew both onions and garlic and use asafoetida instead.  Whether the omission in this particular recipe is intentional is moot,

** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message typically varies as the reciprocal of the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline livo

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 04:14 AM »
Butter chicken is a tomato based curry.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Offline bobsbeer

• Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 07:36 PM »
Made this tonight.  Really really nice.  OH who is a curry wimp said it really nice but just on the edge, so that is praise indeed.  It does have a bite and a degree of heat, which my oh isn't used to when ordering from our fav BIR.  I think I made the sauce too thin, but the rice soaked it up okay.  Maybe 150ml instead of 200ml of water next time.  As there is only two of us I letting the remainder reduce before freezing.  We made it with chicken breast chopped into chunks and then marinated overnight.  This brought out the lemon, which gave it a refreshing zing.  We accompanied this with onion bhajis and veg samosas as that's what we had in the freezer.  maybe next time a nice flaky paratha would work to help soak up the liquid..

Thanks for the recommendation.
Bob
Everybody has to believe in something..........I believe I'll have another drink!!!!!!!

Offline tempest63

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 09:31 PM »
Made this tonight.  Really really nice.  OH who is a curry wimp said it really nice but just on the edge, so that is praise indeed.

This is our go to butter chicken recipe now and replaces a couple of different recipes used in the past.
Pat Chapman had a good CTM sauce in his Bangladeshi Restaurant Cookbook which I used but with a Julie Sahni chicken tikka. That combination lasted for years at family gatherings.

Personally I find Vivek Singhs recipes very accessible and haven’t had a bad one yet, however I note your comment on too much fluid and this is very common so I always measure out the stated quantity, add about two-thirds and hold the rest back to add later if necessary. I found Camellia Panjabi recipes always asked for far too much water, way more than other authors.

T63

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: