Author Topic: Not "highly recommended" but most definitely not "really bad" either ...  (Read 1558 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
The Clay Pot, Hurst Green, Sussex

Excellent ambience, friendly owner and staff, food variable

I visited the Clay Pot for the first time shortly after they opened for evening service yesterday. I ordered a Coke and a couple of popadom initially, and was advised that the popadom would take about ten minutes as they would first need to be heated, which I took as a good sign, and when they arrived they were excellent -- one plain, one masala, with a four-pot pickle tray. The onion salad in the pickle tray was clearly freshly made -- beautiful white onion, no signs of discolouration, and the mixed pickle was good too. For a starter I ordered the reshmi kebab with a chapati, and that too was excellent. Sadly the main course did not live up to my expectations. I ordered the Riposhi murgh, described as marinated chicken and minced lamb cooked with egg in a medium spiced sauce; the description was reasonably accurate (although the "marinated chicken" was actually chicken tikka) but the dish just did not gel. There was no synergy between the ingredients, and I found it bland and uninteresting. I tried livening it up with some onion salad and mixed pickle, but even that did not help and in the end I left about two-thirds. Normally I would have asked to have this packed up as a takeaway to eat later, but I really did not think it worthwhile. Would I go there again ? Yes, definitely, but next time I will try a classic dish such as Chicken Madras, and will make a point of asking it to be adequately spiced. 4/5, I think -- 3/5 would be rather mean, given the friendliness of the front-of-house team and the excellence of the starters. Oh, and coffee is served with cream, which always influences me favourably. Total bill including a couple of Cokes was less than

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Shame, the starters and service sound good. Is it a new place? -thinking, perhaps they've- uh uh ;) -bitten off more than they can chew?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Both the web site and the TA reviews date back to 2012, so it has been there for at least five years.  Prior to becoming the CP, the building was a pub called the Black Dog, but I have not as yet been able to find out when that business folded.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes