Author Topic: Lightly spiced nut mix - masala bhona badami kaju  (Read 2076 times)

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Lightly spiced nut mix - masala bhona badami kaju
« on: November 05, 2017, 12:12 AM »
Hey friends!

This is one of my all-time favourite recipes. It's great to serve with drinks before dinner or as accompaniment or general nibble. It's by Joyce Westrip ("Moghul Cooking") and very easy and straightforward  but oh so delicious. Hope you'll try it out. You'll need:

- enough oil to cover your pan for approx. 3cm
- 3 cups of shelled, unroasted and unsalted whole nuts: almonds, cashews, peanuts, pistachios - but you can use and try out any nut and combination you can think of. Walnuts and paranuts work like charm too,
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp Garam Masala*
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- bowl and some paper towels

Heat the oil up until sizzling, next add the 1 tsp cumin seeds, Turn down to minimun, add the nuts and stirfry them until golden. Put with slotted spoon onto some paper towel to drain excess fat.

While still hot, transfer to your bowl and sprinkle with the GM, chili powder and salt. Toss and shake very well so everything is coated evenly. The last step is also very crucial: serve while still hot/warm! Enjoy!  :)

You can store the mixture in a airtight container and reheat it for 5-10 Minutes at 180

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lightly spiced nut mix - masala bhona badami kaju
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 01:00 AM »
This looks a great addition for entertaining especially with Christmas coming, thanks for the recipe, I'll certainly try this one out

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lightly spiced nut mix - masala bhona badami kaju
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:24 PM »
Very happy about that, foureyes1941! Please let us know how it went. Glad you already liked it by the 'looks and feel of it' - thanks!  :)

Just one quick addition: depending on the power of heat and speed of flame used, stick to (low or high) medium heat when (stir-)frying the nuts.

Oh, and please take a look at another recipe I shared just a few minutes ago. I think you'll like this one too!  :)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=14795.0

Take care!  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes