Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

Author Topic: Lightly spiced nut mix - masala bhona badami kaju  (Read 213 times)

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
  • Popularity: +0/-0
Lightly spiced nut mix - masala bhona badami kaju
« on: November 05, 2017, 12:12 AM »
Hey friends!

This is one of my all-time favourite recipes. It's great to serve with drinks before dinner or as accompaniment or general nibble. It's by Joyce Westrip ("Moghul Cooking") and very easy and straightforward  but oh so delicious. Hope you'll try it out. You'll need:

- enough oil to cover your pan for approx. 3cm
- 3 cups of shelled, unroasted and unsalted whole nuts: almonds, cashews, peanuts, pistachios - but you can use and try out any nut and combination you can think of. Walnuts and paranuts work like charm too,
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp Garam Masala*
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- bowl and some paper towels

Heat the oil up until sizzling, next add the 1 tsp cumin seeds, Turn down to minimun, add the nuts and stirfry them until golden. Put with slotted spoon onto some paper towel to drain excess fat.

While still hot, transfer to your bowl and sprinkle with the GM, chili powder and salt. Toss and shake very well so everything is coated evenly. The last step is also very crucial: serve while still hot/warm! Enjoy!  :)

You can store the mixture in a airtight container and reheat it for 5-10 Minutes at 180° in the oven the next day.

* While it should work great with any of your favourite GM powders, it's intended to go with Moghul Garam Masala. Here's Westrips original recipe, which I tried and tested and do recommend using here combined - but still optional of course: :

1 tbs "light-coloured" cumin seeds (also known simply as cumin)
2 tsps black cumin seeds (Shahi Kala Jeera - not those onion seeds)
1 1/2 tbsp black peppercorns
3 tsp cardamom seeds, without pods
1 tsp fennel seeds
20 cloves
3 cinnamon sticks (2,5cm), broken into bits
1 tsp mace

Combine - with the exception of cinnamon and mace - the spices in a hot pan and dryroast them for approx. 2-3 minutes. Take care not to burn anything - just aim for a LIGHTLY brown color and the smell and fragrance to develop even some more. Let it cool and combine then with the cinnamon bits. Grind everything. Lastly, add the 1 tsp mace. Gives highly aromatic and fragrant mix - also exceptionally great for Biryanis and all the "Shahi" dishes you can think of!

Cheers!

Offline foureyes1941

• Chef
Re: Lightly spiced nut mix - masala bhona badami kaju
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 01:00 AM »
This looks a great addition for entertaining especially with Christmas coming, thanks for the recipe, I'll certainly try this one out
Anita

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
Re: Lightly spiced nut mix - masala bhona badami kaju
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:24 PM »
Very happy about that, foureyes1941! Please let us know how it went. Glad you already liked it by the 'looks and feel of it' - thanks!  :)

Just one quick addition: depending on the power of heat and speed of flame used, stick to (low or high) medium heat when (stir-)frying the nuts.

Oh, and please take a look at another recipe I shared just a few minutes ago. I think you'll like this one too!  :)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=14795.0

Take care!  :)

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: