Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

Author Topic: Black lentils from the Cinnamon Kitchen by Vivek Singh  (Read 126 times)

Offline tempest63

• Indian Master Chef
  • Popularity: +0/-0
Black lentils from the Cinnamon Kitchen by Vivek Singh
« on: November 26, 2017, 08:23 AM »
Black lentils from the Cinnamon Kitchen by Vivek Singh

I tend not to be so heavy handed with the water as I find the end result often needs reducingquite significantly

INGREDIENTS
250g black urad lentils, soaked in lukewarm water in a warm place overnight
3 litres water
1 tablespoon   Ginger and garlic paste
1 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons tomato puree
150g salted butter
2 teaspoons dried fenugreek leaves, crushed between your fingertips
1 teaspoon Garam masala
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons single cream

METHOD
Drain the lentils and put them in a pan with 1 litre of the water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, skimming the surface, as necessary, for 20–25 minutes, until they are nearly half cooked.
Meanwhile, bring the remaining 2 litres to the boil. After the lentils have cooked for 20–25 minutes and the water is dark, drain the dark water off and add the fresh boiling water to them. Continue cooking the lentils for another hour or so, until they are thoroughly tender, but not broken down. Add the ginger and garlic paste, chilli powder and salt and boil again for 10 minutes. Add the tomato purée and butter and simmer, stirring, for 15 minutes, or until the lentils are thick, but taking care that butter does not separate from the lentils.
Add the fenugreek leaves, garam masala and sugar. Check the seasoning, then carefully stir in the cream.
This dish goes very well with most tandoori-style dishes, especially tandoori chicken and also with layered parathas and naans.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
  • Popularity: +0/-0
Re: Black lentils from the Cinnamon Kitchen by Vivek Singh
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:57 PM »
This was the first Dal Makhani recipe I ever tried, I think! It was included in the chef section of Pushpesh Pants "India" cookbook too. The earlier version used 2 tbsp tomato paste instead of the puree and only one tsp methi, less chili and instead of the 1tbsps gg paste, 1 tsp each ginger and garlic paste, if i remember correctly. Nice to see the small new adjustments. It's a fantastic recipe!

But the water ratio seems a little bit off to me too - at least regarding the additional cooking time of just one hour. I think it's 1:5 or 1:6 in general and it just got doubled here. It's been a while since I cooked this specific recipe, but I think you should evaporate around 3/4 of it while cooking. If there's too much water, the end result will be quite bland. I also recommend using a pressure cooker for more convenience (definitely using less water then).

Thanks again  :)

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: