Author Topic: Is CRO as a forum finished.  (Read 36004 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Is CRO as a forum finished.
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2018, 09:50 PM »
This is a quote from a spice merchants website description of Dagar Phool. 

"Have you ever been to an Indian restaurant and thought,

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2018, 11:45 PM »
Thought I would touch base as it were. Been about 4 years since I logged in.
Still making lots of curries a week all year round using the chewytikka base. I'm a curryholic and never get bored of making/eating curry.
I'm happy with mine and would like to thank the forum, chewy and everyone else again in case the site closes, thank you.  :)

Good to see you posting harley. ;) ;D
Crikey, can you imagine the extent of the rubbish advice you would get if you said
you were having a hard time cooking curry. Beggars Belief ::)

cheers Chewy
The sites under new ownership, so I doubt it will close ;)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2018, 08:43 AM »
In fact I've had it in a few curries where it was almost too strong a flavour

In that case, it might be cumin -- that can be quite over-powering if too much finds its way into the final dish ...
I have tried so many recipes and don't think it's cummin
That's prominent in the Glasgow Base and that's missing something too (but it is very good)

I think the problem may be that we are all talking about slightly something different
Perhaps we  are even chasing something totally different to each other
Wouldn't it be good, if we could assemble the finest curry minds in the uk, (that's us by the way) and finally sort this?
Maybe someone has already done it
We would need a place where we could meet and cook for a day.
Definitely a gas cooker and a microwave
Microwaves are brilliant for testing the aroma of a curry or curry base!
We would need to bring a curry sample of the taste we are after
and also bring sample bases we have cooked oursleves

I don't think this forum is finished, because it's always good to talk about curry.
But perhaps it has gone as far as it can to find this missing 5%
Something different needs to be tried

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2018, 09:31 AM »
...It's in the curry, as dried leaves
I've not used it as a ground spice as part of the spice mixture

I must admit that fenugreek as a ground spice, is not something I've used much.
I haven't seen it as part of the spice line up, in any takeaway
You know how they have those metal tubs full of all sorts of spices

Maybe I should just put some in the base gravy?

Re kasoori methi, the aroma of methi leaf as it it hits the pan takes me right back to the sort of curries from days past. Here's a couple of (highly-selective!) extracts from a 2015 thread on cumin, one from me, one from the much-missed JerryM and one from Chewy.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=13579.msg115147#msg115147

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=13579.msg115187#msg115187

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=13579.msg115196#msg115196

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2018, 09:39 AM »
The sites under new ownership, so I doubt it will close.

To get this thread back on track, as per the thread heading...I disagree, The existing owner of a business or suchlike gives up for a reason, We haven't been told the reason for the change of Admin here or if Stew still owns (i.e. pays for) the forum. Someone new comes in with lots of ideas but may have underestimated the scale of the challenge. Or even know what they are supposed to be aiming for. What's in it for any owner/manager of a forum like this? Especially when many people have moved over to alternative forms of social media and the whole subject has been comprehensively debated, almost to death. It seems to me that too many recent comments are simply repeating what was said a decade ago, when there was a much larger active membership, so it's all getting a bit boring

littlechilie

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2018, 10:02 AM »
The sites under new ownership, so I doubt it will close.

To get this thread back on track, as per the thread heading...I disagree, The existing owner of a business or suchlike gives up for a reason, We haven't been told the reason for the change of Admin here or if Stew still owns (i.e. pays for) the forum. Someone new comes in with lots of ideas but may have underestimated the scale of the challenge. Or even know what they are supposed to be aiming for. What's in it for any owner/manager of a forum like this? Especially when many people have moved over to alternative forms of social media and the whole subject has been comprehensively debated, almost to death. It seems to me that too many recent comments are simply repeating what was said a decade ago, when there was a much larger active membership, so it's all getting a bit boring

Hi George we could press the reset button like the old 1980s computer games, reload the forum and wipe out all the memberships.
I do agree with what you essentially say though.. posts with people constantly rolling their eyes and claiming to know the world are just as boring.
I say press the button.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Someone new comes in with lots of ideas but may have underestimated the scale of the challenge.  Or even know what they are supposed to be aiming for. 

I think that is unlikely.  If you look at the portfolio of sites that our new owner runs, you will see that he has a wide range of interests and considerable experience in this field.

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2018, 10:22 AM »
What's old is new again, eventually.  The warning that you are about to post on a thread that is more than 120 days old is almost a threat. It's red and it tells you to consider creating a new thread. I ignore it if necessary.

There is a lot of good solid information in those old threads and part of the reason the same stuff is repeated over and over is because the original good knowledge base has become buried. I recently suggested going over long-standing and respected members early posts. It works.

The forum is only dead if you want to leave.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2018, 10:47 AM »
If you look at the portfolio of sites that our new owner runs, you will see that he has a wide range of interests and considerable experience in this field.

Interesting. Where can anyone go to check this out? I know very little about the new manager. How do you know he's the new owner and Stew no longer has any link?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2018, 10:55 AM »
I used "whois" to find the current owner of the domain "curry-recipes.co.uk", then used Google to learn a little more about him.  What I have read leads me to believe that our forum is in experienced and safe hands.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes